Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim Staelgraeve Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 06:25 PM
    Wiring a Ceiling Fan (w/light)
    I just moved into a new house and I'm installing ceiling fans. I've installed 4 other ceiling fans with no issues and on my last one I'm scratching my head.

For each fan I'm installing a switch with a separate fan and light controller on the wall (side by side sliders). There are 3 wires on each switch, Hot, Fan, and Light.

This is where I'm scratching my head...

When I took the face plate off the ceiling box, there were four (4) wires. Red (Hot), light orange, dark orange, and a white (guessing neutral). The ceiling fan has 3 wires, Black(Hot), Blue(light), and white(fan). Up to this point all of my other ceiling fans had 3 runs to the switch MINUS the white wire. This white wire does not end up at the switch as the other runs, but I'm assuming that it's terminated at another gang box on a large twist nut.

Here's my question. I wired this fan the same as the other and capped off the white hoping it would work the same as the other ceiling fans but it looks like this neutral is its only way back to the service feed.

How do I wire this bad boy? :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2005, 06:49 PM
    I don't think you understand the wiring of the fans. Black and blue are the power into the fan and light, and the white is the neutral. The black and blue need to be connected to wires from each slider and the white to the neutral.

Try connecting the white to the white, and the black and blue to which ever wires are connected to the fan and light terminals at the switch.
    Jim Staelgraeve Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 06:51 PM
    Thanks... What do I do with the red wire at the ceiling box? Should I just cap off the red wire?
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 26, 2005, 06:58 PM
    Typically on a ceiling fan the black and the blue or both hots. The white is a common neutral for the two. You need to hook whichever two wires are hooked to the switches to the black and the blue and the white to the white
    Id wired nut the end of the red wire and tape it up just in case
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2005, 07:14 PM
    I forgot about it, cap it like wheat said.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Did it work? If not you may have a switch loop.. . Which of the wires head to the switches, do you know? Do you have a volt meter?

For more information on ceiling fan wiring:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light wiring? [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased two ceiling lights at Home Depot and when I got them home I noticed a warning on the box that said " use supply wire rated at 90 C, most homes built before 1985 use 60 C wire". My home was built in 1971. How do I tell if my wiring is okay. I checked the wire sheathing and the...

Light Kit for Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought I Home Essentials ceiling fan from K-MART and I wired the fan portion just fine. The wires were nice and color coded Black to black, red to red, white to white and green to bare copper for the ground wire. I turned on the power and it works fine. When I shut the power back off,...

Ceiling fan/light [ 9 Answers ]

I did away with the remote receiver and wish to use the wall switch only: I have a wall switch labeled "general purpose ceiling fan control - non solid state." Now this switch has one lever that operates the fan from off to high,medium, L1, L2. Below that lever is another lever that operates the...

Light kit for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Harbor Breeze 52in. Helix II Ceiling fan. The light kit came with the fan. There are 5 G9 blubes that came with the light kit. My problem is that the fan works properly but the lights will not come on. The instructions say to "connect the black wire plug from the fan to the...

Trouble wiring ceiling fan to light! [ 2 Answers ]

Novice here.. But I've done this before but can't get it rite this time.. URG... Have to replace the chain on ceiling fan.. fan works fine but no lite.. removed old chain but can't seem to get wires wired rite and can't get the lites to work.. The white wires are all set but don't know which of...

View more questions Search