Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    augustjane223 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin
    I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents computer is not having any problems but my computer is saying it cannot find a wireless network in range. I have changed networks on the computer before and never had a problem, but right now I am not sure what is even wrong. Maybe because I had my computer plugged in to access the internet before I changed something so that the computer doesn't know to search for wireless connections... when I kept searching for a wireless network it(a message from the computer) told me to make sure the wireless switch was on. So what is this wireless switch?

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop with windows XP. I used to just use internet explorer but someone recommended I get Firefox when I got to school. I also got symantec at school but that hasn't been prompting me since I am not on the school network anymore. At home I didn't have trouble with the internet after setting it up. We still use the same router called "linksys"

I tried calling Dell but that was the most frustrating waste of an hour I have experienced in awhile. Once I realized the person on the phone had NO IDEA what they were talking about or doing I started to try to ask questions about what I thought might be wrong but the person couldn't answer any of my questions... and he said if I didn't see a switch on the side of my computer then I don't have a wireless switch... soo...

I have been trying to figure it out by myself but I have lost my patience and I need my itunes to finish my holiday gifts! I am not good with computers and no one available for free is either! Thanks for any help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Try going to Control Panel under network and see if you can start the wireless network wizard.

By the way, if your network just says Linksys, it probably means its unsecured. This means anyone can use your connection. I would strongly suggest changing the SSID to something specific and putting some security on the network.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 08:19 PM
    This site may help you set up wireless

PracticallyNetworked.com

Hope this helps -- Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird Wireless Issue, laptop shuts down wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, here it goes. I am in the process of fixing a buddies computer. He has a dv8000 HP. When I got it, he said that it will not connect to the internet either through wireless or cat5. I brought it home, were have a wireless network and tried to connect. I get no connection and limited or no...

Wireless network won't come on when computer starts [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's computers has a wireless USB receiver and transmitter connected and every time she boots up the device is not on. The transmitter plugs into a device that in turn is connnected to the computer via USB. When the computer finished booting up if you unplug the transmitter and then replug...

Wireless Network [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a wireless enabled laptop and I purchased a Netgear router which came with a free adaptor (which I shouldn't need). I configured the router but cannot get my laptop to access wireless without using the adaptor. The laptop is definitely wireless enabled and I have checked for on/off...

Wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

How do you set up a wireless card

View more questions Search