Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brian_Houston Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 01:13 PM
    Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo.
    Question:
    Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub.
    After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet.
    We will have to reduce the drain line at the trap to 1 1/2 in order to connect the tub drain/overflow. Do I need to add another vent?
    Or is the main stack sufficient?

Attached Chicken Scratch sketch of system
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Hey Brain,

Ya think your drawing's bad? Ya otta see some of mine. Since you failed to inform me what material your pipes will be I'll assume either cast Iron or PVC.
    If cast iron you may have to change traps to a threaded trap that will accept a 2 X 1 1/2" Midland Bushing so you can run up a 1 1/2" copper stub up to solder on to the tubs brass tailpiece. If PVC then all you'll need is a 2 X 1 1/2" compression fitting on the trap raiser.
    If the shower vented OK then there's no difference between the old configuration and the new. Good luck, tom

Dec 26, 2005, 01:44 PM
    Hey thanks Tom. Existing 2" pipe under the slab is cast iron (or galv, sink drain is galv). I am sure the plumber is going to connect into it with pvc (new 3 foot section + trap) my concern is about the vent. First 3 plumbers that gave estimates and said I needed a new vent 36" from trap. Then the last said, if it drains fine now it should be OK. So I decided to do some research, by a book (Black and Decker complete guide) and try and figure what I really needed. Appears that the first couple of guys were going on the premise that I had 1 1/2 drain pipe under the slab. Not true. So, now, still a little uncomfortable, but starting to realize that my 5 foot stretch of 2" pipe should be sufficient.

Would adding the 1 1/2" drain/trap to the 2" line cause any pressure problems due to the 5foot run to the vent?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2005, 02:35 PM
    "Would adding the 1 1/2" drain/trap to the 2" line cause any pressure problems due to the 5foot run to the vent?"{

Not a bit since the tub waste and overflow are 1 1/2". This will not affect the drain line. Regards, Tom

Dec 26, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Thanks Tom! Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From tub to shower stall [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will be remodeling my bathroom soon and will be converting from a tub to a shower stall. It is ground level on a cement slab. My question is should I have to move the drain at all or can I pour and form a drain pan with the drain in it's current "tub standard" position/distance from wall?

Leaky/free turning shower handle [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen similar posts with fixes (from Speedball, particularly), but I can't find a specific answer for one thing. My shower/tub is a single handle Stanadyne. The handle spins too far in each direction and there's a constant leak from the faucet. From what I've read, I need to replace the...

Converting a Walking To Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have an ensuite with just a toilet and Sink (on the second floor). On the other side of the toilet wall is a walk in closet. Is is possible to put in a Stand up Shower enclosure into the closet. If this is possible does it drain to the Sink etc. Is this a crazy idea?

Shower stall replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one piece fiberglass shower stall that I want to remove and replace. The drain pipe is PVC with a metal flange and some lead, how do I remove it?

Shower stall base [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a house with an unfinished half bath. The shower base was not installed. There is a cast iron pipe coming up through the slab.there is a drain leaded into the pipe with a flange and a liner that is cut off,and a threaded 2" drain screwed into it,it has been there a long time and I...

View more questions Search