Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aduvall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Thrift store 4 profit
    I want to start a thrift store 4 profit is that possible? Will people be willing to donate and not get tax receipt. What is the lega stuff

:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
    People may GIVE you things, but they will not be able to deduct the gift off their taxes. So I doubt you will get near as much.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
    An idea would be to offer to clean out garages, basements or at least to pick it up from the porch or driveway. You could also join freecycle programs where they give items away, it is best to be honest with them about what you do with the stuff, normally they like to give to people for personal use... if no one wants it they will give it to others for yard sales... etc. Some may not care who it goes to.
    Also I see people at yard sales at the end of the day that offers a small amount for the entire amount left over, some people are just glad to get rid of what they consider junk.
    We have people in our neighborhood evry week that comes by in trucks and pick through the garbage on garbabge day. I have set out doors, sewing machines etc... and minutes later they will be picked up. I welcome garbage pickers as they save the landfills and make the poor garbage guys job easier.
    I say give it a shot and see what happens.
    HoustonTom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 09:52 PM
    If you are truly serious about getting into a "for profit" thrift store operation, please feel free to contact me directly. I consult those that would like to get into this exact business. The business model (if done correctly) can be extremely profitable.

Let me know... thanks...

[Personal email address removed for privacy.]

-Tom
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTom
    If you are truly serious about getting into a "for profit" thrift store operation, please feel free to contact me directly. I consult those that would like to get into this exact business. The business model (if done correctly) can be extremely profitable.

Let me know....thanks...

-Tom
    We always appreciate and are glad to have people participating in answering questions on this site who are willing to give freely of their time and also keep answers on the threads so that others might benefit by the answers that have been given. Those reasons are just a couple of things that make this such a great site for people to use!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 01:30 AM
    Thread is now old and archived.

Thread has attracted piggybacks and solicitation for off-site contact.

Thread is now CLOSED.

If anyone has a new question, please start a new thread with the new question rather than posting it as a question on an old thread. Also, please use the site the way that it was intended, and that would be to post questions and get answers without soliciting for contact off the site.

Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thrift store [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to start a thrift store

Non-profit thrift store desperate [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking for any information, tips and ideas on how to keep our small town thrift store afloat. Right now we are barely making it. I need to come up with some ways to increase revenue. All monies made go directly to suppor to our crisis center where I live. We have a constant steady flow of...

Starting a Thrift Store for a Non-profit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a college student who was given the charge of developing a business plan for a local charity, called Good Works. GW is an established charity that would like to open up a for-profit thrift store to help fund its homeless shelters. I am looking for thoughts on where to find...

Thrift Store [ 2 Answers ]

What are the major things to starting a thrift store business?

View more questions Search