Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MBarnesOK Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Reduction in force(Discrimination)?
    I was told by my employer to search for another job in a conversation about a month ago. No documentation or reason why I should... just that I should search. Next I am given a written counseling stating I failed to meet a deadline and told my employment would end in 2weeks as a "reduction in force"? My quality of work is not excellent. However, in comparison and considering no prior corrective action stating dissatisfaction it seems personal. Also, I am a senior (40yr old) manager with a 1yr tenure and a less than 2 month mgr will be retained. Reduction in force is a part of their policy.. but I am the only manager being termed? Does this sound appropriate?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Reduction in Force
    Hi,
    In 2000, I, and 5 others, were "laid off" from a 22 yr job, others had longer time. My department had only 1 employee, me; the Quality Control Manager.
    The company called it "Reduction in Force; Permanent Lay-offs". All of us, at that time, were 50 or over! Companies do this to reduce insurance payments, of older workers, and get by with it.
    Another reason is that the company may no longer need a particular position, and lay off a person. Others, then have to work harder to "cover" for the person laid off; i.e. do their work as well.
    I, also, had no indication that my lay-off was coming... no warnings of any kind, no oral or written warnings about my work, cause it was excellent, with annual reviews showing excellent.
    Just to go one step further, some companies now are "reneging" on their promised retirement plans... cutting back on money being paid out, and increasing employees' contributions to retirement, out of the employees' pockets.
    I am so sorry to hear about your job, but unfortunately, companies do it. It doesn't sound very appropriate, but they get away with it.
    Others will be along to add to my answer for you, and hopefully, will have some more positive advice. I would immediately update my resume, and start looking for Classifieds, and from other employment sources. I do wish you the best of luck.

Dec 26, 2005, 09:24 AM
    Thank you
    I want to thank you for responding. Of course this is discouraging, but I appreciate someone taking a moment just to help me understand how this happens and if there is any recourse other than taking another job. This is going to be quite a blow to my family and income.

Anyway, I thank you for your quick response.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2005, 09:38 AM
    Blow
    Hi, again,
    You are quite welcome.
    When I was laid off (for good), it was with a phone call... no less! Didn't even had the decency to call me in and talk about it. It was on a Friday afternoon. I had NEVER been laid off from a job before, and the weekend was one of the worse my wife and I have ever had! Worry, worry, worry.
    But then on Monday, I went to the VA State Employment Commission, talked with them, signed up for unemployment, and was amazed that my weekly income for 26 weeks would be almost the same thing I was making before, after taxes!
    After just talking with them for that first time, I had more confidence, and knew my world "had not ended". I filed my resume with them, and the next day, had 2 interviews. It did take 3 months to find another job, with a little less pay.
    If your state has some type of State Unemployment offices, go talk with them. You might have to consider buying Cobra insurance for awhile, to be covered by Medical Insurance, if your company stops your insurance immediately, like mine did, of all things.
    Hang in there, talk with others, and believe me, life isn't over. It is a blow, and now maybe you can find a job with a much better company!
    I even found a link online for newspapers, put my local papers in my Favorites, and every morning, started looking at the Classifieds; along with filling out applications at the Employment Commission Offices.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Hello Mr. Barns.

Unfortunately, unless you have a employment contract or are a member of a union, your boss can fire you for any reason whatsoever (short of discrimination). It's called "employment at will".

So, you're a senior at 40. I guess that makes me ancient.

excon

Oh, oh, "senior MANAGER". I get it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Fired
    Yes, in general if you are in the US, ( many countries have a lot of job protection but almost to the point it is hard to discharge bad employee)

Most likely that converstation a month ago was written up as a verbal warning about work not up to standard. Now a written notice of termination.

That was more warning than they most likely had to give you.

In most states unless you have a written contract ( all management should have one) and unless you are part of a uniion ( all non management should be ) then they can just let you go for no reason at all. Perhaps they don't like the color shirts you wear.

They can not fire you for race, religion, sexual preference(I think anyway) and all of the protected reason.

So most likely you had best look for a new job. Sorry

Dec 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Thanks To All!
    I appreciate your taking the time to respond. Of course I would rather have heard good news... but I appreciate hearing the truth.

It is unfortunate... but oh well.

To all... have a great New Year!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Reduction of face fat [ 24 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I've got some fat around my cheeks and chin. I want to burn this off. Can you please suggest some excercises or method of reducing the same?Does cardio help in burning face fat? Also, would taking Hydroxycut as supplement help? Thanks for you time! I appreciate any reply from...

Organic Chemistry - Clemmensen reduction [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I REALLY REALLY need to know the mechanism for the Clemmensen Reduction of ketones/aldehydes using Zn(Hg) + HCl!? How do the electrons transfer to reduce ketones/aldehydes to alkanes? I have an exam soon! Your help will be much appreciated!

Copper Repiping, Noise reduction [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just about finished repiping with copper. Pipe runs in attic and down walls. There seems to be a choice in strapping approaches and insulation. What's the best way to keep npoise to a minimum. Thx

View more questions Search