Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    G_Man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 01:26 AM
    2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question
    Hi there.

I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead, they wired the two wires directly to screws on the thermostat. The dilemma that leaves me is that I have no terminal labels for the current wire placement.

From what I've read, I'm pretty sure that the two wires I have are for terminals R and W. One wire is red and one is black. However, if I look at the wire connections to the current thermostat, the red wire is connected on the left to a screw that has another wire running to the mercury bulb. The black wire is located on a screw to the right and does not have any other wires connected to it via the front of the thermostat.

So my questions are this:

1) Do you agree that the two wires will be R and W?
    2) My theory is that the red wire on the screw that has another wire connecting to the mercury bulb is my R wire which, through process of elimination would mean my black wire is my W. Do you agree with my theory?

I don't want to find that I've mixed up my R and W wires while trying to replace a simple 2 wire thermostat. Any confident advice would be greatly appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2005, 08:21 AM
    For a truly simple 2 wire thermostat, it doesn't matter. You could go to the furnace and see if the red wire is connected to R or the transformer, and the black to the W or the gas valve. If so, you are correct, red to R and black to W. For heating, the thermostat switches power from the transformer to the gas valve or whatever the heating plant has. Which wire is which only becomes important when you add continuos fan and A/C, or a digital thermostat draws power from the transformer.

Both wires would have connected to the mercury switch. If the switch has 3 contacts, the red from the transformer should have been connected to the common. I would trust them to be the right places.
    G_Man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 07:58 PM
    Thanks Labman
    That was great advice.

After reading your post I followed the wire to my furnace again. What had me additionally confused at first is that my furnace has a computer board where the wires to/from the thermostat attach to. However this time, I gently lifted the wires and found that the terminal descriptions for the wires were located on the board. The verdict was that R was red and W was black just as speculated. However, now I could hook up my new programmable thermostat with confidence.

Thanks very much Labman!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search