Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Upgrade61 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Trane XL80 not working after tstat change out to Honeywell 3100C
    I just changed out my thermostat from an old mercury thermostat to a Honeywell 3100 which is supposed to work with a heat pump.

After I hooked it up the first time it would only heat my house in Em Heat mode. In my attempt to get the thermostat to work in normal heat mode I "fixed it" to where it will not run fan, heat, cool or them heat at all.

I tried putting the old thermostat back on on and still nothing will work.

It's supposed to get really cold in the next day or two so any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

(I have also have attached some pictures of my current setup so you can see if I am doing something wrong or if you would like to point out something.)

Unit

Model

New Thermostat

HVAC
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Looks to me that you don't have the common "C" wire connected, you need this wire connected unless you install a thermostat that uses batteries, in the process of changing thermostats you may have shorted out the transformer in the furnace, try touching the red wire to the green wire, the fan should come on if the transformer is good.
    Somewhere the wires change from hard wire at the thermostat to low voltage wires at the furnace, the "C" wire at the thermostat should be the same color at the furnace "C" but may change color where they spliced the hard wire to the low voltage wire to the furnace.
    The transformer is the part on top of the electrical control box in the furnace, if you replace the transformer or thermostat be sure to kill the power to the furnace .
    It looks like you need to clean the burners as well due to the rust in the bottom of the furnace, propane furnaces can be very dangerous when they don't burn properly, Good luck, Mike

Dec 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
    The thermostat is battery powered, So I should not need a C... I tried touching the red to the green and the fan did not run... I am now trying to indentify what is the transformer, so I can replace it.

ACETC, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
    In your picture the transformer is the black and silver part on top of the control box, remove the box cover and you will see the wires going into the transformer, mark the wires before you take them apart so you put them back properly on the new transformer. The transformer will be 115 volts on the primary side and 24 volts on the secondary side ,40VA . Mike

Dec 22, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I changed out the transformer and I now have heat!!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

Now I am on to my next issue... My heat will only run in Em Heat Mode...
    You see how I have it wired above, what can I do to fix this issue?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Glad to see Acetc around and giving his usual good answers.

See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html
    Read about locating the control wiring fuse. If your system doesn't have one, add an inline one. Not sure what you paid for your transformer, but you can buy the inline fuse holder and a whole pack of fuses for a lot less.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 05:06 PM
    A great suggestion adding a fuse (Labman).You say you have a heat pump and you show a picture of a gas furnace, is the furnace the second stage and air mover for the heat pump? If you don't have a heat pump then this is not the correct thermostat, do you have a control panel that mates the heat pump to the gas furnace?Follow the thermostat wires to this controller and see what wires connect to what, and get back and let us know, Thanks, Mike

Jan 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
    I do have a heat pump on the side...
    Here is a pic... I also have no ac now...

I have also updated the thermostat wiring picture at the top of this thread.

The white wire is running back into the heat pump box to W1. The tan wire is not wired to anthing in the heat pump box, it looks like it is running to the outside unit.

At this point heat only works in them heat and the cooling does not work at all.

Jan 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Upgrade61
    At this point heat only works in em heat and the cooling does not work at all.

Can someone help me with this?
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Look for a fuse in the system that may have blown. Always shut off the power when changing a thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is the filter on my Trane XL80? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, please don't laugh. I've read the owner's manual and the Trane site a couple times now. It's totally gobbledygook to me. So here are my silly questions: --The manual talks about upflow, upflow installed horizontally, and downflow. Our unit has the "grated" part on the bottom, which I...

Trane XL80 upgrade to 90K [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XL80 60K furnace with no air conditioning. It is about 15 years old. I want to upgrade the furnace to a 90K which I remember was supposed to be easy to do by simply replacing the jets with larger 90k units. But now the furnace installation company (original factory approved...

Honeywell TH8320 to Trane XL80 wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have Honeywell TH8320 thermostat which I'm trying to connect to Trane XL80. My problem is that it's 2H/1C system with no heat pump but all TH8320 wiring diagrams only show either 2H/2C or 1H/1C. So I got a bit confused. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Trane Xl80 Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Keep getting the blinking light on the control panel. Flashes 4 times it say's it means that the thermal protection device is open. O.K. what does that mean . And can I fix or do I have to call a repair man Thanks Jimmyd

Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result. The old wiring scheme: X2 - black O - orange G - green Y - yellow T - tan/brown R -...

View more questions Search