Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearcejohnston Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Screen Resolution problem
    Hi. We use a hp pavilion f1703 flat screen monitor on Radeon 9200 series. Every time the computer restarts the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and Low 8 bit colour. I can change the resolution to 800x600 and Highest (32 bit) colour but it doesn't remember that info when I restart the computer so I have to change it every time! Any ideas on how to make it stay on the higher resolution? Thanks in advance...
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
    What operating system are you using?

Dec 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
    We are using Windows XP Home Edition.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2005, 07:53 PM
    Hmmm. Can't seem to find a Windows issue about it.

Is this a recent issue?

Did you install any hardware or software just prior to the issue starting?

If it were me, I'd shut down, remove the video card, then re-seat it, then re-install the driver for it.

Let us know if that works. If it doesn't, let us know how long this has been going on, and if you can think of any software or hardware changes you made just prior to first noticing it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 26, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Sounds like a driver issue to me.
    Try updating to the latest driver from HERE

Hopefully this should solve your issue.

Dec 26, 2005, 06:38 AM
    Hi Rick

Thanks for your answer. The problem started after the hard drive was wiped clean and everything was reinstalled (by a computer repair shop) after a power surge.

You will have to excuse my ignorance... but what does the video card look like and where would I find it?

Thanks!

Hi Curlyben

I have just looked at the link... which one do I need to download?

RADEON

Display Drivers and Software for RADEON Products

Catalyst 5.13 Windows XP - Driver Download

ATI Multimedia Center 9.08

HYDRAVISION - For RADEON and Mobile ATI Products

Catalyst Crew Feedback

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
    You want the Catalyst 5.13 Windows XP driver, should fix the problem just fine.

Dec 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Hi

I downloaded that file but after restarting my computer, I got the following error message -

cli.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Also when I tried to click on the shortcut on my desktop to ATI Control Centre, I got the same message.

I uninstalled the control centre, and downloaded just the Driver file but nothing happened at all. So I downloaded the full file again, same problems.

Any ideas??
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 04:10 AM
    Man, this one's over my head now.

After saying this happened after formatting, I assumed re-installing the driver would have taken care of it.

Is that monitor new enough to be able to get one of their tech support folk on the phone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcejohnston
    Hi. We use a hp pavilion f1703 flat screen monitor on Radeon 9200 series. Every time the computer restarts the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and Low 8 bit colour. I can change the resolution to 800x600 and Highest (32 bit) colour but it doesn't remember that info when I restart the computer so I have to change it every time! Any ideas on how to make it stay on the higher resolution? Thanks in advance...
    This usually means that your video Adapter is not configured correctly. Since you reformatted you probably did not load the driver for video adapter so its defaulting to standard SVGA. What you need to do is tell Windows what adapter you are using and load the correct driver for that adapter. Go to the Advanced button on the screen where you set the resolution and select the exact adapter you have in your system.

Dec 27, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Hey Curlyben

I went back and downloaded the latest XP service pack and the .net download and the Catalyst has now downloaded without any problems. It hasn't fixed the problem though... still defaults to 640x480 when I restart.

Hey Scott

It is picking up the correct monitor - hp pavilion f1703 - and also adapter - Radeon 9200 (which I can only assume is correct! ).

ANY IDEAS? This is driving me nuts :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Here is something you can try:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&cc=us&os=228

Dec 27, 2005, 04:49 PM
    Hi Needkarma

No luck... it downloaded and installed OK but display still defaulting to 640x480 when I restart.

:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Monitor doesn't matter, but WHERE is it picking the adapter? The symptoms you describe indicate that you don't have the right adapter. Try contacting HP tech support. (1-800-hpinvent)
    steve1sr50 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Whenever I start the computer with skype the default resolution reduces to a lower resolution?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1sr50
    whenever I start the computer with skype the default resolution reduces to a lower resolution?
    You should probably start your own thread. You've stuck this on a thread that is almost 2 months old, and usually I don't even look at ones with 11 answers on them already, and other people may not notice your question. (I don't know anything about Skype, but does the resolution change back when you leave? Some things will change a resolution because that's what they need to run, but will also change it back when you leave. Like I know a lot of games will do this.)
    steve1sr50 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Thank you. This was my first post. I have reposted with more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook changes resolution [ 4 Answers ]

OK. This problem is fantastic. I have a computer that I am working on and every time I open Microsoft Outlook the screen resolution changes to 600 x 800 and the colour drops to 16 bits. Then when I close Outlook again it returns to normal. This is a Windows XP system. Any suggestions would be...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Resolution Won't Change -- HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My question is in regards to my computer monitor (TRL/RIC DH-1764M/DH-1764). Currently, my resolution is stuck at 640x480. I know the monitor has the ability for something greater, however, when I try to change the screen area or colors, nothing happens. My color options are 2 and 16 and...

Screen flicker problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I am having some trouble with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8100/WinXP Home), namely a really irritating flicker on the screen. The best way to describe it is that it looks like bands of buzzing pixels covering the entire screen. So if my menu bar is dark purple, I see flashes of pink. After a few...

View more questions Search