Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimdarryl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
    How to install cable for TV
    I have cable in every room in my house even basement but not my son's room we run a very long cable cord from his sisters room to he can watch TV. We have asked the cable company about installing and they say they do not do that. How can I do it our master bed room is right under his.

Thanks
    Kim
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Dec 21, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Best way is to use a new home-run of RG-6 from the basement to your son's room (I like to use only single splitter and have all runs branch from there). If this is impossible, you MAY be able to fish a wire to where your master bedroom feed is located. If you use a low-voltage ring in lieu of a regular box, you can put a splitter behind the faceplate to you MBR service and tap your son's room from this.

A couple of cautionary notes: 1. When you start putting splitters in all over the place you may disrupt your signal strength to one, several, or all sets. You may have to have this checked with a signal strength meter. Most any cable company installer will test this for you if you catch him on your street and ask him nicely. 2. With splitters installed in other than a central location, you may encounter signal "hot spots" where you may need to use an attenuator on a specific set or sets. 3. You may need to add an amplifier into the mix. 4. Lots of older houses used RG-59 for cable TV service in years past. RG-59 just won't cut it with new digital signals. 5. If you also have cable internet, be careful about the order of placement of components.

If you need any further details, just post. There are so many possible combinations here that all I've given are some generalities.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Dec 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Additionally, do not "overly bend" the new RG-6 cable. Try to keep it as straight as you can avoiding kinks on the wire. Minimize the bends in the cable as much as possible.

I would buy RG-6 cable, some basic crimpers and some coax connectors (compression or twist on) and fit it to the exact length you need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD/VCR to TV with cable but no cable box [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! I'm trying to help my folks connect their Samsung DVD-V6700 (DVD/VCR combo) player to their Toshiba TV, model number 27AF45. They have cable TV, but no cable box. The coaxial cable is supposed to connect directly to the TV. How do I hook up the DVD/VCR player so both DVDs and VHS tapes...

Wall mount for cable, how do I prepare for cable line? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to move my T.V. across the room, I have a wall mount with the wire there. What do I do to the wire that is not cable prepared to look like the one that is now being used? I need step by step instructions. If anyone can help me please!! :confused: Signed single mom trying to save a few...

How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?

BATCH files silent install or unassisted install? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, :confused: I have many application's that I install at my place of employment. These applications have been packaged into a .exe, I currently install these apps VIA Batch files as there are many prerequisites required to install before installing the application itself i.e.. Oracle 9 etc....

View more questions Search