Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelicaj2g Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 01:23 PM
    He wants to give up his parental rights in order to stop child support payments
    3 years ago I dated a guy who was is in the army:( and got pregnant and had our daughter on June 4th 2006. I thought he would be here for me but it turns out he was married. His wife had no idea and I didn't either. After not hearing from him for 6 months he called and said that he had been deployed to iraq and that was why he hadn't been able to call. It was a lie. He was trying to hide from his wife. I filed for child support and that's when things changed he wanted nothing to do with my daughter. He only pays 195 a month and now he wants to give up his right because he thinks it will get him out of paying. Does a termenation of parental rights also mean that he is no longer financially responsible for her. I do plan on fighting him. Do I have a chance or am I wasting my time and money on a lawyer.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Oh... he just THINKS that.

Parental rights is not the same as parental responsibility.

It's unlikely he'll be able to sign them away, but even if he could, he'd still be paying.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Honey you have nothing to worry about.

He cannot relinquish his parental rights just to get out of child support.

The only way that would happen is if you AGREED and you were having him relinquish his rights so you could have a spouse adopt the child.

I would say you are wasting your money on a lawyer... you don't need one. He is not going to be able to relinquish rights to not pay support.
    He can relinquish rights as far as involvement with the child is concerned... but he will always have to pay child support.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 01:41 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey my name is angelica and this is my 1st time using this site. I don't really know what I'm doing yet. Thank you though. He keeps telling me that he doesn't want anything to do with our daughter grace. He's a pathological liar and has fooled a lot of people. So do you think I need a lawyer to help me or can I do it on my own

Angelica

Thanks for your reply! At this site, though, we encourage you to not take discussion to private messages, but post information back on the main question, just in case someone else may need that information in order to give you more advice. The way you can do that is to click on the orange box at the bottom of the last reply that says "Answer this question".

Now... honey, he isn't going to be able to. No judge in the country will allow him to sign away his rights just to get out of child support. If he does't want anything to do with her, he's not exercising his rights--so why would he worry about relinquishing them?

If you feel he's a threat, then you need to contact the police, so that at least it's on record, but I sincerely doubt he'll get out of paying child support.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
    thank you so much. I have been so stressed over this. He wants nothing to do with her and I can't understand y. I guess everything happens for a reason but I really appreciate your answer. Angelica
    Backing up Synnen here ;)

Again, don't let him get to you... things are not going to play into his favor.

This will not even reach court... they are going to tell him he can't relinquish his rights to get out of support.

Keep you chin up and focus on that little baby :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 04:48 PM
    First he can't give up any rights, if you are fighting it, he is just wasting his time, and he can never get out of child support if you don't let him.
    I would say he is obviously talking trash, and has not even talked to an attorney yet, just tell him to do what he wants, and be sure to file for an increase in child support if you are wasting your time going back to court,
    NAQUIN Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2007, 11:58 AM
    All you army folks out there. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It is against army policies for a spouse to cheat. Just point that out to him. Your child deserves whatever benefits from both parents. Instead of him thinking about avoiding parental responsibilities, he needs to be thinking about how to keep his job.

Oh by the way, the army can assist you in getting support for your daughter. If he is uncooperative, just tell him you will talk to his superior. That will save you a lot of time and attorney fees. This is first hand knowledge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Yes, if he is in the army and owes child support, the army will make sure you get it.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Dec 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    You don't know the guys side of the story
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Comments on this post
    jasondbel : you dont know the guys side of the story

It doesn't matter what his side of the story is... the FACT remains that he cannot sign away his parental rights to get out of paying child support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 07:50 AM
    [QUOTE=macksmom]Comments on this post

What "side" could he have that could change the situation?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Terminating his parental rights is not an option and will not relieve him of the responsibility to pay child support.
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Comments on this post

What "side" could he have that could change the situation?

Exactly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Rights and Child Support [ 4 Answers ]

My ex hasn't made any attempt to show me that he cares about our 2 month old daughter and now he said that he would sign over his rights. I just turned in the child support order so should I tell the courts that I don't want child support now if I don't want him in her life and he doesn't want to...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Child support/parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

OK so here is the deal. My girl friend is adopting her sisters kids after they were taken away from her in Ga. (she lost her parental rights) we are in Mi. my question is, can the court order her sister to pay child support after the court took them away form her? Thank you in adavnce for your...

When do child support payments stop? [ 5 Answers ]

Both I and my son reside in Florida. I pay child support through court ordered payroll deduction. My son turned 18 earlier this month. He is still currently living at home with his mother. He is employed and plans on attending community college this fall.Can I petition the court to stop support...

View more questions Search