Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeslyn54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Heat not kicking on until the temp dips below 64 degrees, target temp set to 72
    Hello,

This is my first time posting here, but I figured it was a good place to start for some advice. I just bought a new townhouse a few weeks ago and have been having some heating issues since moving in. The actual furnace (Goodman GMS 8045) was installed in June of '06 while the unit was unfinished and waiting to be sold (for a year and a half). Shortly after moving in, my heat wasn't coming on when it should. We checked the filter and it was loaded with drywall dust from construction, so I ordered new ones and replaced it but continued to have issues. We even just recently replaced the thermostat with a new digital touch screen one - a Rite-Temp 8030C. What's happening is that it's not reaching the target temperature, and the heat doesn't even kick on until it dips below 63 degrees or so (if I'm lucky - it's gotten as low as 59). The original installer isn't servicing it and says it's now out of warranty anyway. I've been getting the runaround from the contractors who finished my unit (they're not the original ones who did the initial construction or when the furnace was installed). They keep saying someone will be here to check it out, but that still hasn't happened. I'd call someone myself but I shouldn't be getting stuck with the bill having just bought this place. I live in NH and it's pretty cold! Any ideas??

Oh, and I'm a woman, so I know nothing about this stuff!

Thanks!
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
    The program in the thermostat may need to be changed, it may be programed to operate at 63 degrees, the a/c evaporator coil on top of the furnace may also be as dirty as the filter that you changed, that would also need to be cleaned. A filter with drywall dust indicates that they were running it during construction and the contractor should be responsible for cleaning it.
    Normally the warranty starts when the electric meter is set indicating that the building permit has been signed off and it is operational. Your warranty should be for one year from the date you moved in if you are the first tenant.Good luck, Mike
    jeslyn54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Thanks, Mike. Someone finally came by and had to replace the circuit board because it stopped firing up altogether. It's finally working again. Have a nice holiday!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace not reaching target temp [ 12 Answers ]

My furnace never reaches the target temperature on the thermostat. Even if I increase the temp on the thermostat, the temperature is never met. The current temp is set for 74 degrees, it was 62 this morning? The furnace is a Goodman, the thermostat is digital. I just replaced the thermostat...

Furnace not kicking on when temp drops below thermostat set temp [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a Beckett oil heat water on demand furnace that heats through baseboards. Since this past weekend the furnace hasn't been kicking on when the temperature drops below my set temp of 68 degrees. I have to go down to the furnace and simply touch the top of the reset box for it to kick on. ...

Differential of return temp and cooled exit air temp [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the problem I am having, I had a new unit installed last year on my new house. I noticed that the compressor runs for a long time and shut off for a short period. This got my attention and wondered if the unit is running efficiently. I had my doubts from the start since the A coil looked...

Temp gauge showing temp, 2001 Chev Malibu [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Chev Malibu LS, V6, temp gauge is not showing any heat at all, not registering when I know the coolant is hot ? Veh has about 126000 mi on it, never been flushed out, thought I would attempt to flush myself but don't you think the problem might be a bad thermostat ? If so, where and...

Question about supply temp. & return temp. [ 3 Answers ]

The AC system produced supply temps. At 57-60 degrees on the first floor With a return temp. of 71 degrees. The second floor supply temp. is at 59 degrees with a return temp. of 72 degrees. I know there should be at least a 15 degree temp. difference from the supply to return. There was also an...

View more questions Search