Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen_wahoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 04:34 AM
    COBRA and divorce
    Hello, my sister recently served her husband divorce papers. The next day he was fired from his job (she doesn't know why--if it was gross misconduct or what. He claims it was because he was served the papers at his office by a plain clothes police officer. No one else was around). He has health insurance until 31 December so he should be eligible for COBRA and so should she. However, he is one dirty bird (even forged her signature on a second mortgage) and no doubt he will hide any paperwork regarding COBRA from her to make her suffer. She recently found a job with insurance however she has a pre-existing condition and they won't insure her for 6 months. Is there any where she can call or can her lawyer help her get the COBRA info so she can insure herself and her 2 kids?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Sure, have her lawyer submit a request to his employer to have copies of the COBRA documents sent to him.
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Jan 7, 2008, 12:32 PM
    If your sister has had prior continuous coverage and there has not been a lapse of more than 63 days, she does not have to serve a waiting period. Per Erisa. Also, if the firing was for gross misconduct, they could deny her husband COBRA. She should speak with HR at her new job ASAP to preserve her options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cobra more than once? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone have been on Cobra continuation coverage for the maximum period of eligibility (18months), then become insured with a new employer, retire, and be eligible for a brand new 18 month period of Cobra benefit coverage under the new employer's plan?

Cobra Rates [ 11 Answers ]

I understand that cobra rates are determined in some fashion by the Plan that is in place for the Company. The rates that I have to pay for 2007 increased 20-30 percent over rates for 2006. Is this much increase possible?? Thanks

Cobra eligibility [ 5 Answers ]

The company I was working with was closed. The health plan was terminated. I have pre-conditions sucha as high blood pressure so I'm not eligible for an individual health plan. Am I eligible for COBRA? What option do I have other than a group plan?

COBRA Eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to quit my existing job where I Have been for 8 months and have medical insurance can I elect COBRA continuation even though I have only been there 8 months?

Cobra Insurance Coverage [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my current employer in one week. I will be starting with my new company immediately. I will lose my health care benefits the day I quit my current employer, and will not pick up my new coverage for 1 month. My question is what are the rules on COBRA retroactive? For...

View more questions Search