Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Gifts from ex's family?
    So... if you've read my post, you'll know my situation. In a nutshell:

Ex girlfriend of 3 years just broke up with me 2 weeks ago... found out she's dating a new guy... about 3 days after we broke up. OK. I'm dealing with that. The thing is, she hasn't told any of her family members that we broke up... possibly because she's afraid of judgment from her family.

Anyway, her family adores me and her mom got me a gift for christmas, and her brother got me a card.. . she told me that she'd drop it off this weekend.. . do I take the gifts? Or do I just tell her that I appreciate it, but I can't take it, and that she can explain the situation to her parents?
    say cheese Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Dec 21, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Talk to her mom who is giving you the present. Tell her that the two of you have broken up. Ask the mom if it's appropriate to accept the gift.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Even though I think your still assuming your own thoughts are fact, telling HER you cannot accept her families gifts, is the better option.
    xcookiemonstorx Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 01:14 AM
    Well I'm in the same situation. Boyfriend of 2 years has been cheating on me for about a month and probably about to have a rebound. But I did take the gifts from his family. Is that wrong? I lived with him. And I got presents for his family to. Even if your broken up her family still loves you so I think they would want you to have them.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Yeah... since you've already taken the gifts, I guess you can't really do anything about that.

As for me, I told her I couldn't take them. She didn't ask why. Done deal.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Isneeze, I think in your case that you should send the mom a note thanking her and explaining why you could not accept the gifts. That way no hard feelings.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Well, I sent the gifts back, and I think my ex either

1. threw away/kept the gifts... in which case, I need to write a thank you note pretending I got them

2. gave the gifts back to her mom and explained the situation to her.

... I should find out what happened. Good call.

The only reason I don't want to write her mom an explanation... is because my ex didn't tell her family we broke up... and that she got with someone within 3 days... probably to avoid judgment and confrontation from her family...
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
    I would not get into the details in my mind of what she told did not tell. That is not your problems... let her do her own expalining. I would write the mom a note and let her know that I thanked her for the gifts, but since your daughter has broken it off with me I do not feel right in accepting them... thank her for her kindness and let it go. Leave it up to the daughter to lie, explain etc...
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Oh, you so cold. OK. Done!
    kentgurl Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Jul 21, 2008, 06:02 AM
    TRied giving back gifts ended up with emotional blackmail- I ended up just dissappearing off their rada
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Oct 21, 2008, 12:51 PM

ISneezeFunny.

Good call! I think you did the right thing, by not accepting the gifts.

Other post is correct: don't bother with details of finding out whether ex girlfriend threw the stuff out, or if she gave gifts back to Mom to return. Not your concern. Go on with your life, you'll be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex's in family photos [ 7 Answers ]

I would love to have a family photo with my boyfriend our new baby boy and his son (5, Devonte) from a previous relationship. However, my boyfriend brings up that he doesn't want to exclude his ex if we take a photo with her (their) son. I don't want to look at my family photo and see her. I would...

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

God given Gifts? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I go to Christian City Church Oxford Falls in Sydney and a guest speaker called Theo Wolmarans came to our Church this week. God moves powerfully through him in the gift of healing. I have seen some amazing things God has done through this man. My question is why can't we all have such a gift?...

No gifts at wedding [ 2 Answers ]

How do I nicely write no gifts but money or gift cards because this is both of our second marriage and we have lived together for three years:confused:

Wedding Gifts [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding. Our nephew is marrying a girl from a very wealthy family. While visiting with a cousin, someone mentioned that it is proper wedding ettiquette to give a wedding gift that matches the price per plate at a wedding reception. The cost per plate at...

View more questions Search