Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave_mwi Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Social Security, Medicare supplemental tax rate
    I received a supplemental increase to my paycheck to cover some expenses that I incurred. I have a couple questions.

From what I understand, the federal rate is 25% for supplemental amounts. Is this in any way augment-able upon filing based upon dependents? And what part of my 1040 does it go on?

Will Social Security and Medicare amounts withheld also increase accordingly? Mine did.

Finally, my overarching question is this - several times I have been 'reimbursed' for some kind of company related activity. These have usually been taxable sums - supplementally. So what happens is this: I'm given a sum of money that has not yet been taxed that covers my expense only before it's been taxed. When it's taxed it no longer covers my out of pocket expense. Is there a better way for my company to do this? Possibly giving me a larger amount such that after taxes it does cover my full out of pocket expense. Could it be indicated is a 'Bonus' for example?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Social Security is 6.2%; Medicare is 1.45%.

The supplemental will be added to your salary on your W-2, which is entered on Line #7 of Form 1040.

If supplementals are considered taxable income, most companies typically PLUS-UP the amount to account for the tax.

Another way is to consider the supplementals as CONTRACT income, which is reported on Form 1099-MISC and accounted for on a Schedule C. The expenses are also claimed on the Schedule C, resulting in NO TAX DUE.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Find out if the reimbursements are under accountable plan or nonaccountable plan. Under accountable plan, it is not reported as income and you can't claim deduction on schedule A under Employee Business Expenses.

Under nonaccountable plan, these are added to your W2 income. This income is also subject to FICA (ss and medicare) taxes. You can deduct these expenses only if you itemize your deductions that is if you file schedule A (Form 1040). And you can deduct only the expenses that are more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).
    Also you will itemize your deductions only if your itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction. Standard deduction is $5,350 for single and $10,700 for Married Filing Jointly.

What ever your employer is holding as federal or state income tax, is not your actual tax. It can be more than or less than your actual tax. You will know your actual tax when you complete your tax return for the year. If withholdings are more than the tax as per the return, you will get a refund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 11:51 AM
    MukatA brings up some good points with which I agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare tax [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a student. After I graduated from university, I've worked under H1b status from Oct. 15, 2004 to Feb. 12, 2006. However, on Feb. 18, 2006 I left US permanently, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social Security and medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1b on 27th Jan 2006. Before that I worked for 6 months on my OPT. I don't see any social security or medicare tax deducted from my salary on W2 form. What should I do in this case? Is this the employee or employer responsibility to pay these taxes ? I am getting conflicting answer for...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

View more questions Search