Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amespinoza01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Past child support from biological father
    Hello,
    My daughter is 6 years old. My husband adopted her this past October. The biological father of course doesn't have any rights over her anymore. My question is the following: Would I be able to sue him for the time that he did have rights over her and never paid child support and had a court order to pay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2007, 11:12 AM
    If there was a court order for support and it was not paid, then you can sue him for the arrears up to the time the adoption was finalized. However, if there was no support agreement I don't think you can institute one now, but I could be wrong on that.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I think Scott is right... if there never was a court order for child support, I doubt you can do anything now.
    If there was a court order and the bio father had any amount of arrearages he should be held responsible, but I would have thought that issue would have been discussed during the adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Past due child support [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé is serving 45 days for his first VOP. He is now currently behind on his child support payments. If fact he was in the process of legal modification of his payments when he was arrested. When he is release in 2 weeks can they rearrest him for past due support? And if so is there anyway...

Can they hold income tax returns for past due child support? [ 7 Answers ]

I am going back to court again for past due child support. My ex has been delinquent on payments since 2005 . My ex also owes retro active support. An income deduction order is in effect, though he switched jobs two weeks after it was enforced with his employer in 2005. The state has already put a...

What Rights does my Child [ 4 Answers ]

I was never married to my 13 year old son's biological father. However I was married to someone else at the time. My ex-husbands name is on his birth certificate since the law says if you are married the husband is the legal father regardless of the actual biology. My ex did know that the child was...

View more questions Search