Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trust1stmortgage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Which is a violation of the FDCPA?
    I would like to know which one of these is a violation of the fdcpa?

a) Informing the Borrower that they are delinquent.
    b) Verifying the borrowers social security number over the phone.
    c) Informing the client that their home will be foreclosed.
    d) Calling the customer at 10am at their home.

Seems rather simple, but I'm not to familiar with the FDCPA.

Thank you for your time...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2007, 11:14 AM
    The only one that comes close to a violation is b) and that's only if they do not believe they are talking with the borrower.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 21, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Fair Debt Collections Practices Act * you need to know it if you are attempting to collect a debt for YOURSELF or someone else.

Easy to Google and read it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust1stmortgage
    I would like to know which one of these is a violation of the fdcpa?
    Hello Trust:

Not one violates the law. Nary a one.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Actually I think it is D, there is a time limit that you are allowed to call.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    actually I think it is D, there is a time limit that you are allowed to call.
    Chuck, calling at 10 in the morning is appropriate. Option D is calling at 10 am.

I believe it is B also, and I don't know diddly about FDCPA, but when verifying a SSN over the phone, you haven't a clue who is actually on the other line.
    MTWJB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Federal law allows creditors to call between the hours of 8a.m.-9p.m. Any calls made after the federal requirements would be subject to a violation of the FDCPA... hope this helps
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MTWJB
    federal law allows creditors to call between the hours of 8a.m.-9p.m. Any calls made after the federal requirements would be subject to a violation of the FDCPA..... hope this helps
    However, if a debtor officially requests that all contacts be by mail they can no longer call at any time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Countersuit FDCPA Violations Settlement Amounts Small Claims [ 5 Answers ]

How does one go about coming up with the correct dollar amount of a countersuit against a debt collector? Apparently the FDCPA states one can file a lawsuit for up to $500,000.00 in small claims. If one legitimately has a case how does one go about making sure the debt collector pays for the full...

Fdcpa violations [ 3 Answers ]

I've been reading (mostly Mr. Yet's) answers re. Fair Debt Collections, and I've read the Act itself. I don't speak legalese, though. Is there any law that requires a collections agency to justify charging interest at a rate higher than the legal limit? Does obtaining a default judgement without...

Lawsuit filed against me. Violation of FDCPA? [ 18 Answers ]

I have a very specific question about FDCPA. I'm trying to figure out if these creditors have violated the FDCPA in a major way. I have an old cc debt, it has been in collection with several different law firms over the last few years. I finally decided to man-up to it, and replied to the...

How do I sue a collection agency for violations of FDCPA? [ 2 Answers ]

Here's my situation in a nutshell: I am being sued by a CA through a local lawyer for a debt that I do owe. I have sought validation of the debt through the CA and also from the lawyer that they had contact me, as well as several other lawyers that they had contact me in the last year. All...

FDCPA violation [ 2 Answers ]

What recourse do I have when a creditor or collector has violated the Fair Debt Collection Protection Act? In one case, they did not stop calling after a cease and desist letter. In another, they failed to serve me papers about a garnishment (is that FDCPA?).

View more questions Search