Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Dec 20, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Liens, seizure of property, and license suspension
    My son's BF stopped paying child support quite a few months back. I have been having issues with this man for the past 8 years regarding child support. He has gone through so many jobs and never reports if he's been fired or hired from a job. I eventually have to make a call into our child support case worker and report him. I am getting so very tired of this and this time I am not reporting him. (For reasons on a different matter)

Well I found this on the web site for my county's child support: (sorry if it's long)

When past-due support equals 1-month’s worth of child support or $500, whichever is greater, the name of the delinquent payer is placed on the Child Support Lien Docket. Any missed court-ordered payment is counted -- a payment for current support or a payment on past-due support (arrears). Interest charges are not included in the lien amount.

When a payer is placed on the Child Support Lien Docket, a lien (hold) is placed on his/her property (such as homes and cars). Please note: liens are placed on cars and trucks that are registered after the paying parent is first listed on the Lien Docket. The child support debt is reported to credit bureaus. These actions are automatic.

When paying parents are listed on the Child Support Lien Docket, other actions may be taken. For example, their bank accounts or property may be seized, or their licenses may be suspended or denied. Licenses that may be suspended are professional and occupational licenses, recreational licenses (hunting and fishing) and drivers’ licenses. These actions are done on a case-by-case basis.

Does this mean that even if I don't report him, they will take action against him immediately when his arrears hits a certain dollar amount? In the past it always seemed like I had to inform them that I was not receiving any payments. Can they put a lien on his bank account even if it is a joint account with his wife?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Hello Shell:

I've never seen a bureaucrat DO anything he wasn't PUSHED to do. If YOU aren't going to report him, he'll probably get away.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2007, 07:38 AM
    What you read says what they CAN do. But with over worked staff, it doen't indicate what they WILL do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Several liens on property [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found out that I had several liens on my property, I had know idea this had been done, am I supposed to be notified of this? And how can I found out who has put a lien on my property?:mad:

How do I get liens off my property [ 12 Answers ]

I built a new house that was completed in July. I got a loan and everything was financed. I found out that the builder did not pay some of the contractors. I did pay title insurance. Is the title company suppose to protect me? How do I get these Liens off? Also, how do I get the builder to fix the...

Bank seizure of property [ 3 Answers ]

HI, hoping someone can help. We have signed a contract on a property with the vendor. However, the property has now been seized by the bank. We are wondering if our contract is still legally binding or do we have to start negotiating with the bank who now owns the property? This has all occurred...

View more questions Search