Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kel1717 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 11:12 PM
    My father just died with no will, where do I start?
    My father died a few days ago of a suspected heart attack. So far there is no will that we know of. My main concern at this point is that my parents were divorced and my father had remarried a few years ago. My mother is in custody of my little sister and I just recently started taking care of my brother. They are both minors. My mother has legal documentation of her custody status and child support history but because my brother just came to live with me I have no proof of custody. My step mother has been callus and uncooperative so far and I am scared that because we live in California and my father died with no will that she will get everything and leave my brother and sister un- supported. Where do I start with all of this, what are my rights, what are the laws, do I need an attorney? Any advice would be apreciated.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 01:12 AM
    Yes, you need an attorney. Do you know whether your father had life insurance, either through his employment or privately? Where I reside, a spouse cannot inherit less than 1/5 or 1/6. Your attorney can explain this; you shoud contact the social security administration as well, concerning survivor's benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know when my father died [ 3 Answers ]

My father was Francoise Grillot. He and my mother had an affair, and they were never married. He died before I was born. All I know is that his mom's name was Maddame Suzzanne Grillot. I want a picture of him. I have never seen what he looks like. He lived in France. I don't know what part. Can...

My father died recently and my mother wants to transfer accounts into my name [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away very unexpectedly and without warning 2 months ago. Now that the shock has finally subsided I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake that will cause future problems. My father was retired and had various bank accounts and mutual funds which...

Father died last year; how do I find his assets? [ 3 Answers ]

My father died last July 2006. He was born in Brazil, but was a citizen of the U.S. and was a doctor here for 35 years. He retired, remarried, and moved back to Brazil in 1993. He died without a will. My stepmother claims that he died with no money. I believe he did have a significant amount...

My father died now my mother is kicking us out. [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: My father died a couple yrs ago. My mother decides to bring in another man into her life. She is asking my brother and me to move out or buy the house off her. My question is: are we entitled to any part of the house? My father didn't have time to do his will. The house is now paid off....

View more questions Search