Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoginispirit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Back to back toilet when flushed drains the other
    I have two Kolhlar pressure assisted toilets back to back. When the front one flushes it drains the other. I have had the common vent checked by both vision and using a hose to check the vent is clear. I have had this problem for a few years. One plumber recently separated the water flow lines to each toilet but it didn't help. Instead of both toilets draining the other now only the front toilet drains the back one. The back one now doesn't have enough pressure to flush properly.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2007, 06:43 AM
    One plumber recently separated the water flow lines to each toilet but it didn't help.
    Please explain, in detail, exactly what he did. If one toilet's sucking the water out of the other it's being caused by suction. Vents are supposed to relieve that suction. Since your bathrooms are back to back I assume one vent services both groups. What's been changed in your venting system? Regards, Tom
    yoginispirit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Please explain, in detail, exactly what he did. If one toilet's sucking the water out of the other it's being caused by suction. Vents are supposed to relieve that suction. Since your bathrooms are back to back I assume one vent services both groups. What's been changed in your venting system? Regards, Tom
    Nothing has been changed in the vent system which services both toilets. The contractor said he separated the water flow to each toilet. I had this problem before the separation.
    I called Sloan who manufactures the pressure assist system and they said remove the flow restrictor. However, this wouldn't stop the draining of water when one toilet is flushed.

I have had these toilets for 13 years. Initially I had no problem. The last year either toilet started draining when the other flushed. After the contractor separated the flow lines only one drains when the other is flushed. NOw is has stopped flushing almost completely. So I am down to one working toilet.

I know this is a weird problem. I hope you can offer some advice on where I go from here.

Love and light,

Yoginispirit
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 21, 2007, 07:06 AM
    You say nothing's been changed. Well, something sure has or you wouldn't be having this problem. If one toilet sucks the water out of the other bowl then it's suction that causes it. Suction's relieved by venting. I don't care what your contractor told you, common sense keeps directing you back to the vent. And that's where I'm at right now. Regards, Tom
    irishdave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 01:37 AM
    Your 2 toilets are plumbed into the one soil pipe, so it probably piped like so 90 elbow, tee, pipe continues outside to a tee with 1 pipe going up for vent 1 going down for your waste from toilets. Does this sound right? If so there is a easy solution
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 06:09 AM

HI Dave...

This thread is from 2007... let's hope that yoginispirit has this all resolved by now... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer drains, toliets and bathtubs back up water running under the house [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: HI I hope someone out there can help me, Yesterday I noticed the toilet in the master bathroom gurgling . Didn't pay too much attention to it because it was working fine. Later I found out that was not the case, I took the plunger to it and that didn't seem to help either. I checked the...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Toilet back up [ 3 Answers ]

My house has a basement and 2 stories, the basement toilet backs up about every 8-10 months and I get a gurgling noise when my sink or shower drains on the first floor I'm sure this isn't normal but I can't figure out why this problem keeps happening. Please help.

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Toilet back-up [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed a Kohler K3496 'Comfort Height' toilet that uses 1.6 gal. of water for each flush. The previous toilet worked fine - no clogs or problems just old and ugly. The new toilet clogs very easily - small amounts of paper and liquid waste only - and doesn't unclog without much...

View more questions Search