Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lotsadotti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Paramedic requirements
    I would like to pursue a career as a paramedic. I have a DUI on my driving record from 1 1/2 years ago. What are my chances of being hired?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
    I am sorry to say that your chances are slim. As a paramedic you will be required to drive the ambulance, just to name one. With a DUI the company you work for will not want to risk their insurance on someone who is at risk.

What you need to do is talk to your advisor at school. Let him/her know about that. They are the ones to advise you properly.
    ChickenW Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Hi Lottsa,

Unfortunately what J said is true. You won't be able to get a job while your DUI is still "fresh". Different companies, fire agencies, etc have different requirements. I've heard of a few people with DUI's getting hired 3 years after the fact but that seems to be pretty few and far between. I don't know where you live but most medic programs will take you approximately 1-2 years to complete (assuming you already have you EMT) so that will give you some time. Check with the ambulance companies or fire agencies in your area to find out what their requirements are. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC requirements [ 2 Answers ]

How do I know what size AC unit I need for my home?

Officer requirements [ 4 Answers ]

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but does anyone know the specific requirements to becoming a police officer, education wise?

How would a paramedic treat someone having convulsions? [ 2 Answers ]

Two paramedics pull up to a woman who's tearing at her own scalp and having convulsions/seizure. I'm writing a movie and want to get this scene, including dialogue, accurate. Thanks!

MD Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone here gone to med school with a non-science background? I have a BBA, and am wondering if I can do med school. Just want to hear what you guys think. Thx

Ambulance with Paramedic [ 2 Answers ]

I am under process of starting a project on a free ambulance service with paramedical staff. I want to know what staff do I require. It's a non-profit making project service to who cannot effort . Your suggestions welcome.

View more questions Search