Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Jewish Names
    I have been curious about Jewish names. Are their some names that American Jews will not name their children? For example, are their any Jewish girls named Mary? Or, Jewish boys named Christopher or Noel?

What are some of the names that aren't used, if any?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Dec 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Very seldom have I met any Jews that have the name "John." I've never met a Jew named after the anglicized English name "Jesus," although I guess it's possible. Mary or "Miriam", though, more properly is used. Given names in the US are mainly to acclimate, as was when we were in Germany or Russia etc... Although there are exceptions to the rule, each Jewish child if not given a Hebrew name for everyday usage, will have an additional Hebrew name, not necessarily on the birth certificate, but for bris, used in synagogue services, ketubbah, etc...

Bobby (Avinoam)
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Thanks so much, Bobby... Avinoam. :)
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Dec 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
    The average Jewish family gives the kid a name in English in the usual way. The more religious (or aware) would also give the child a name in Hebrew. Some even more religious, aware, or Zionistic might give the child only a Hebrew/Biblical name with the "English" name simply being a transliteration of that name.

I know many a Jewish "Jonathan" because Yonatan is a common Hebrew name which his biblical precedent. Strangely, I also knew a set of brothers Christopher and Nicholas (Jewish). I know Jewish Kathy's, Natalie's and a Marianne (remember, Mary is just a corruption for the Hebrew Miriam).

Got to admit, I know no Jewish Jesus's or Noel's.

Dec 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Jonathan, yes. But less so have I found the Americanized shorted form in "John" or "Johnny." I mainly hear the shortened form applied to my non-Jewish friends of Italian desent. Maybe that's just coincidence. I know a lot of people think that my real name is Robert, but it's actually on the birth certificate as "Bobby." Come to think of it I haven't met many Jewish "Luke's" either. A name more known for it's use in Christian literature. No disrespect to Muslims, but I don't recall knowing any Jewish parents naming their sons Muhammad. Although it's a pretty name meaning "praiseworthy" in Arabic. I guess perhaps outside the US in heavier Jewish Arab communities in some shorten form like Ahmed, it might occur.

Bobby

Dec 19, 2007, 05:47 PM
    I work with a couple of Jons, and, yes, a Rabbi named Johnny.

Plus a Rabbi and another religious Jew named (get this) Anthony. Out of the 4 Anthony's at work, 2 are religious Jews.

Dec 19, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Really weird. I guess Americanized/secular names can be just about anything now-in-days. What's next, a Rebbe Jerome?

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
    What is the Jerome reference... scuse the ignorance!

Dec 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
    I was referencing it's Greek origin and for being generally associated with Christianity's "Saint Jerome."

Baby Name Jerome - Origin and Meaning of Jerome

"The boy's name Jerome \j(e)-ro-me\ is pronounced jer-OME. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "sacred name". Saint Jerome (fourth century) was a scholar who prepared the Latin Vulgate, the standard accepted text of the Bible in the common language of the time. He is often portrayed with a lion, from the legend that he removed a thorn from the lion's pad and won the beast's lifelong loyalty. Songwriter Jerome Kern; choreographer Jerome Robbins; football player Jerome Bettis."

Bobby

Dec 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
    My next door neighbor's name is Jerome, as was the executive director of the day school I went to. Go figure.
    Both Jerome Kern and Robins wre Jewish.

Dec 19, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I thought Robbins was. I didn't know about Kerns. What's baby naming turning into, a Hellenistic Jewish renaissance? And I suppose Jerome Bettis the ex-pro football player recently converted to Judaism... just kidding. I've actually met Jerome Bettis and he had plenty of gold chains around his neck, but no Mogan David.

Bobby
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Hello Choux:

I've never heard of a Chris being Jewish. Frankly, I've never heard of a Bobby either - but I don't get around much. What about Scott?? We got one of them.

Yitzrach
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
    I remember reading (when I was in college) that Jewish immigrants named their sons proper English names, and that is why names such as Irving came to be considered "Jewish names"! I can't remember any other names like this, perhaps, Elliot? My last Jewish man friend was called Aaron; my best ladyfriend for a time was named Sylvia.

I think the Jerome reference is too esoteric, Bobby. Maybe, John-Paul?? :D

I had a pure Polish guy as a broker-partner for a while, and his name was Scott! Maybe, Scott has lost its meaning, excon? :)

Dec 20, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I remember reading (when I was in college) that Jewish immigrants named their sons proper English names, and that is why names such as Irving came to be considered "Jewish names"!! I can't remember any other names like this, perhaps, Elliot? My last Jewish man friend was called Aaron; my best ladyfriend for a time was named Sylvia.

I think the Jerome reference is too esoteric, Bobby. Maybe, John-Paul??? :D

I had a pure Polish guy as a broker-partner for a while, and his name was Scott! Maybe, Scott has lost its meaning, excon? :)

Yes! Esoteric Greek Latin wearing the beanie"John-Paul," as opposed to the Hebrew "Yohanan-Shaul. " Toga, toga, toga! I think that is correct info on proper English names, as it was just part of the acclimating to new environment. I had a cousin named Elliot, though I'm not sure how his parents derived at the name.

Bobby
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jan 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Actually, Chou, my Hebrew name is Eliyahu (after Elijah the Prophet). Elliot is my "legal" English name, and the name I have on my drivers license. But at home I use Eli (short for both Elliot and Eliyahu). And my dad's name is Aaron.

Most of the so-called "Christian" names out there have a basis in either classical Greek and Roman history or in Judaism. John (Yonatan or Yoni), Mike (Micha-el), Simon (Shimon), Reuben (Reuven), Jude (Yehudah), Dan (Daniel), Joe (Yosef), Ben (Binyamin), Jake or Jacob (Ya'akov), Josh (Yehoshua), Sol (Shlomo), Paul or Saul (Shaul), are all common "Christian names" for boys, but their origin is Jewish.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Excellent, thanks.

Jan 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Choux-

That's Elliot's namesake way of saying that during Pesach if you leave a fifth cup of wine next to his table, he'll consume it. :)

BTW for anybody that's paying attention that troll alert avatar just came up next to "fancyT." Another one (or the same one) has bit the dust again.

Bobby
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jan 14, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Bobby,

I don't need an excuse. But if the fifth cup were a good single malt scotch... now THAT would be worthy of celebration!!

Just one problem... NO SCOTCH ON PESACH.

Ah... well... es is shver tzu zein ah Yid. (It's hard to be Jewish.)
    tokm-nikita Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
    There's lots of interesting facts about Jewish names.

e.g.
    Nimrod is a popular name in Israel, but should be avoided (being the name of a wicked person). There's more examples of this.
    Yona, Tal, Einav and other names may be used for men and women alike.
    Alexander is a traditional Jewish name, in honor of Alexander the Great (there's a story connected to this).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial names to botanical names [ 1 Answers ]

Sirs, I want to know botanical names of all fruits,plants and flowers,particulerly all horticulture products and floriculture products.i.e. from commercial popular name to botanical names. Thank you and with regards. J.B.Gandhi

Am I Jewish? [ 2 Answers ]

I understand that Jewish descent is matrilineal, but how far back does that go -- all the way back to Moses, or just a generation or two? In researching my geneaology, I just discovered that my great-great-great grandmother (on my mother's side, straight matrilineal descent to me) was Jewish....

Am I Jewish [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Emily, My question is "Am I Jewish "? I have been told that unless my family members that were Jewish,were from my mother's side of our family I couldn't claim my Jewish Roots is this true? I'm very confused, why should it make any difference or does it? :confused:

View more questions Search