Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacksgirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Cushings syndrome
    I have recently had cortisol level come back too high, so doctor ordered a 24 hour urine cortisol test that came back at 390 which is a bit out of the normal range, I have all symptoms of Cushings, such as middle obesity, irregular periods, Male pattern hair growth, milk production (never breastfed), bruise very easily, tired, kind of a buffalo hump and the list could go on. The only thing that I don't have much of is the moon face, but there have been times where I have noticed on photographs that my face is Fatter.
    My doctor spoke to an endocologist who said I need to do the 24 hour urine 4 more times over the next 4 weeks and then if it is consistently high I need to do some other test. This is worrying me, does anyone have raised cortisol levels and do not have Cushing. The endo said if my level was 800 or 900 with the first test I definitely would have been diagnosed with cushings. If it isn't cushings does anyone have any other ideas what I could be tested for and if it can be fixed.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Dec 18, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Here's an excerpt from another posting:

"As these tests help your doctor diagnose Cushing's syndrome, they may also rule out medical conditions with similar signs and symptoms. For example, polycystic ovary syndrome — a hormone disorder in women with enlarged ovaries — shares some of the same signs and symptoms as Cushing's has, such as excessive hair growth and irregular menstrual periods. Depression, eating disorders and alcoholism also can partially mimic Cushing's syndrome."

Perhaps it's something else?
    jacksgirl Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2007, 12:05 AM
    It was originally suggested by another doctor that I had pcos, but after having been tested for that and ultrasound revealing I only have 2 small cysts he ruled out pcos and more test were ordered. I have never had a eating disorder and I have never been much of a drinker, I am not sure about being depressed though, that one is confusing, I am happy, I had a doctor tell me last year I had fibromyalgia syndrome, he put me on anti depressants and they made me feel worse, I have read that patients with cushing have also been misdiagnosed as having Fibromyalgia syndrome. I can only hope there is some simple answer to this as I don't want to have cushings.
    aaza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksgirl View Post
    It was originally suggested by another doctor that I had pcos, but after having been tested for that and ultrasound revealing i only have 2 small cysts he ruled out pcos and more test were ordered. I have never had a eating disorder and I have never been much of a drinker, I am not sure about being depressed though, that one is confusing, I am happy, I had a doctor tell me last year I had fibromyalgia syndrome, he put me on anti depressants and they made me feel worse, I have read that patients with cushing have also been misdiagnosed as having Fibromyalgia syndrome. I can only hope there is some simple answer to this as I don't want to have cushings.
    I have no experience in using a site such as this. I hope I'm doing this correctly. I need to ask a question regarding cushings syndrome.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Nov 10, 2008, 03:23 PM

Open a new question by clicking on "Ask"
    KellBells17 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 09:41 PM

Hi! My only advice is to just make sure your doctor verifies 100% of what you have. You can have all those symptoms with just raised cortisol levels without having Cushings Syndrome. I would try all the supplements you need to take to help your Cortisol levels, such as Siberian Ginseng. I know that with Cushings Syndrome, there is a tumor involved, so you really want to double check to make sure you don't have that. I'm actually waiting my test results for my cortisol levels, because for the last 4 months, my symptoms have been fatigue/weakness, foggy thinking, weight gain, mood swings, irritability, more headaches, unrestful sleep, new facial hair growing... ugh, that one sucks. Anyway, hopefully it's just your Cortisol levels, because that can be fixed. I pray, for both you and me, that it's not Cushings Syndrome. Please let us know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nesting Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so as many of you know I am 23 weeks pregnant with my third child, this pregnancy has had a lot of ups and downs (bleeding about five times during the first trimester, now placentia previa in the second) I can only imagine what the third trimester will bring. But, I thought I would take a few...

Cushings disease [ 1 Answers ]

How do you diagnose chushings and what symptoms show Cushings can it be brought on by a hormone in a miranda coil?

Cushings [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone explain Cushing's to me??

Carcinoid syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Sir what is Carcinoid syndrome , what are the symptoms , cause and relief

Cushings [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 14yr old that has cushings and they had to remove both of her adrenal glands yesterday we notice black spots all over her tongue. This morning it was worst. What could that be?:confused:

View more questions Search