Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
    15A receptacles on 12/2 GFCI Circuit
    I was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. All of the receptacles are 15A 120v, and I was wondering if this is okay? The breaker in the panel is a Square D Homline 20A Single pole.

Shouldn't the receptacles be 20A? Or am I mixed up in what I think I know about GFI protection? If the breaker is a 20A, shouldn't all subsequent receptacles be 20A Rated?

Thanks..

P.S. TKRussel, how about them patriots, eh?

B.Marigoni
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Dec 19, 2007, 12:18 AM
    was just looking at some of the wiring that was done in my house when it was built in 2003. I have one GFCI Circuit that has 5 receptacles on it. On this, it is wired all with 12/2 to the garage first, where the receptacle is the GFI, then it runs 3 outdoor receptacles, and 1 in the basement. All of the receptacles are 15A 120v, and I was wondering if this is okay?
    It's fine per code

P.S. TKRussel, how about them patriots, eh?
    My cousin use to play for the Patriots. Don't ask, because I'm not giving a name! :)
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Your 15A receptacles safely pass 20A.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
    "breaker is a 20A, shouldn't all subsequent receptacles be 20A Rated?" Basically, no. The breaker and the wire size must be matcvhed and your's is fine. The 15a receptacle is correct for your application. You can't plug your normal hosehold stuff into a 20A receptacle. The blades are not parallel like on a 15A, they are at right angles to each other. Plug and Receptacle Configurations
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    " You can't plug your normal hosehold stuff into a 20A receptacle. The blades are not parallel like on a 15A, they are at right angles to each other.
    I've never had a problem plugging anything into a 20A receptacle, as it has the two blade holes parallel, with one that has the right angle on it.

Would there be any advantage to change them to 20A receptacles? I was thinking of adding a few eve outlet receptacles to this circuit for christmas lights. Should those all be 15A receptacles if I don't change any of the other ones?

Thanks again
    B.Marigoni
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2007, 01:04 PM
    If you don't have anything with the special 20 amp plugs, I wouldn't bother. If the price is about the same, I guess you could make the new ones 20 amp.

Don't get too carried away. Someday an AHJ may point out to me I have 16 outlets on my one 20 amp circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can receptacles and lights be wired on the same circuit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I a do it yourselfer who wanted to do some wiring in an addition. I was wondering if receptacles and lights can be wired together on the same circuit? Also, is it better to use 14 wire and then less wattage or 12 wire and then more loads? And what about bathrooms do they need to be on...

20amp circuit breaker, 15 amp receptacles [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20amp circuit breaker with 15 amp receptacles and light switches on #12 wire with a load of 1700, is this allowable? If not, and I change to a 15 amp circuit breaker, is the 1440 watt safety load in the code or is it a non-code safety suggestion?

GFCI Circuit Breaker. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently ran a branch circuit to the exterior of the house to add a receptacle on the patio. The existing 15 amp breaker protected a circuit that had only three plug outlets and one switched ceiling light. The circuit is very lightly used. So I want to add GFIC protection in the form of a breaker...

Wiring a switch and GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of wiring my bathroom. The lighting and fan circuit has one fan, one overhead light and one vanity light. I was wanting to use a NuTone single space / 3 switch unit for all three. Wiring that is all very straight forward but the fan requires a GFCI circuit to make it OK for over...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search