Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Dec 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Viruses and Infections
    What's the difference in "viruses" and "infections"? I use PC Tools Spyware Doctor which scans the computer daily. Everyday, there are (X) amount of infections on the computer, which I always clean up. So what's the difference? And how dangerous are these infections?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Dec 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
    Infections is a term used to denote by your spyware program that you have a certain identified spyware, malware, virus, adware, etc. There are so many classifications of abnormal "infections" that some anti-virus or aware programs don't catch by themselves.

It's always best to use a couple of them. My favs are :

1. Ad-Aware
    2. Sypbot

For really nasty critters, I use HiJackThis to take out the vermen. This supposes that you know exactly which services / exe's are really supposed to be loaded and run.

How dangerous are they? Some will be a nuisance and others will lock up your computer with background processes.

It's best to ensure that you have pop-up blockers turned on and if possible, run a firewall. A router will protect you somewhat, but never plug your wire into a modem (cable or DSL) directly from your computer. You are exposed this way.

HTH
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 19, 2007, 06:53 AM
    AdAware FREE and Spybot S&D will eliminate adware and spyware... both are free programs. You also need an anti-viral program; I recommend the free program AVG Free Edition.

Be sure to run Windows Update regularly, and practice safe computing (careful with the email and with what you're downloading). Stop using Internet Explorer for everyday browsing and switch to Firefox and/or Opera. Both are free and are safer for everyday use than Internet Explorer (you absolutely need IE for is running Windows Update).

Do all these things and you'll be reasonably safe from infections.

Vasily

Dec 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
    vingogly,
    Actually I have 3 of the things you mentioned: Spybot, AVG, and I use Mozilla Firefox (I hate using IE, it so extremely S L O W)... my husband likes to download and play a lot of games on here... are they bad? Also, when I download something, the warning comes up stating that it's an "exe" file and those files can cause damage to your computer... how do I know which ones are safe? I'm currently in school and I have to download a lot of programs that are required for my classes and some of these programs are included in the "exe" files.

I do appreciate both of your responses... thanks for the information.. was very helpful!
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Dec 19, 2007, 04:59 PM
    I run a corporate edition of Norton AntiVirus. It's very good but I'm not sure about the others out there.

Firefox is certainly a better browser in terms of stopping unwanted adware, and will block redirected pages and downloads. Don't circumvent the popups as these are definitely an open door.

Games? Yes, it's hard to trust anything out there that is free or not reputable. "Exe" downloads could be dangerous but the "user" needs to be aware of what is being downloaded. ANY exe's that came down without you purposely downloading them should not be opened.

Scan your computer nightly and you should catch anything done during the day.

HTH
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
    There are safe freeware games out there, but you need to make sure you're downloading from a reputable source. In general, the best policy when downloading or saving attachments is: save to your desktop or a scan folder, and run AVG to make sure the .exe is OK before you install and run. Here are some reputable sites for downloading games (and other kinds of software):

C|Net Download
    Versiontracker
    Tucows
    Gametap (online games)
    FreewareFiles

The best download sites verify submitted files and run antivirus software on them before posting. In addition, there are vendors of shareware/freeware that are reputable as well as open source free games - here are some free games and vendors that are OK:

Battle for Wesnoth

Spiderweb Software
    Flightgear flight simulator
    Frogames
    Blast Miner
    Nextuiz

Here's a source of many other open source Windows games. I'd still practice safe computing and scan installers before running them with any program from a source you're not 100% comfortable with.

This of course only scratches the surface. There are a lot of cheap and free games out there if you're careful. Note that nothing on this earth is 100% safe. There have even been instances in the past where major magazines and vendors have shipped infected CD-ROMs. But you can reduce the probability that you'll be infected to acceptable levels.

Vasily

Dec 19, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Thanks to all of you for your responses! They have really been helpful to me! Merry Christmas everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spyware, viruses [ 7 Answers ]

My server display messages " issas.exe - application error when before login:confused:

I have several viruses I can't seem to remove [ 2 Answers ]

My computer has recently become plagued with viruses, and I can't seem to get rid of any of them. I cannot do a system restore, and I cannot delete any of the bad files I actually find. The following are my problems: 1: When I open my Internet Explorer, "Security Toolbar 7.1" appears, and I...

Limewire viruses [ 2 Answers ]

How do I know which songs are viruses on limewire or just regular songs?

Spyware and viruses [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any good websites to go to to remove spyware and viruses form your PC w/o paying for it?

Hi there anyone its about computer viruses... [ 5 Answers ]

Firt I want to thank you who every you are by reading this... now I have a computer problem... but I want to know first what is the best anti spy or virus should I use... I have tried spybots, adaware, Microsoft beta, trojan hunter, norton 2005, zero pop-up, spyware doctor, symantic, avast... but...

View more questions Search