Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keepahohfour Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Rubber roof and Salt
    I have a rubber roof on a building and in the winter the ice dams up the drains on the low end of the roof. Could I put some road salt on the roof to keep the drains from freezing?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 09:25 PM
    I have no practical experience in this area, but as a chemist that has worked with rubber, I can't imagine the salt hurting the rubber.

Note, may not be the best for a metal gutter.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
    It should be fine but try calcium chloride rather than sodium chloride. It will continue to melt at a lower temp than sodium. If you have time read this. Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

View more questions Search