Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs kim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Forgetful landlord
    My landlord from 7 years ago recently called to tell me she had 2 uncashed rent cheques from July and August of 2000.I reissued different cheques for those 2 months,and she was suppose to destroy the original cheques.She doesn't remember this and now claims I owe her for those 2 months.Ive been to the bank to try and retrieve the cheques she cashed,but everything gets destroyed after 7 years.Can she after over 7 years sue me for payment of those cheques.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I sincerely doubt it. She can't prove she never cashed them either.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Can she perhaps file a small claims case and make you go to court, yes, can she will, it is very very unlikely
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs kim
    My landlord from 7 years ago recently called to tell me she had 2 uncashed rent cheques from July and August of 2000.I reissued different cheques for those 2 months,and she was suppose to destroy the original cheques.She doesnt remember this and now claims I owe her for those 2 months.Ive been to the bank to try and retrieve the cheques she cashed,but everything gets destroyed after 7 years.Can she after over 7 years sue me for payment of those cheques.?
    Checks she has should be "stale" and she should not be able to cash them. I think the statute of limitations has probably expired since it is usually 2 to 4 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord & AC [ 2 Answers ]

Is a home considered inhabitable in Florida if there is no AC, like in the North where if there is no heat.

About landlord [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord gave us permission to change the locks on our door now they are threatening to evicit us if we don't change it what do I do about it?

Landlord [ 7 Answers ]

I have tennants where there tennancy ended on September 30th. They gave me the keys back on Tues morning and asking to have the rest of the afternoon to finish moving their stuff. They left me a note saying they would get the rest today with a big truck. As of today its still the same. I have a new...

Does my landlord have the right? [ 1 Answers ]

I lived at my previous address for 9 months. For about 6 of those months our neighbors gave us a hard time. They would throw garbage on my porch, block my car in, and yell threats. So I decided to move out. When the landlord got to the apartment I tried to explain to him the situation and he...

"forgetful" landlord? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, first let me thank you in advance for helping me with this question, this has really been troubling me and I look forward to some solid advice. I'll try to make this as short as I can. I am writing from Pennsylvania where my husband and I live in an old stone building built sometime in the...

View more questions Search