Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    namm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Statistics@ Jar of coins expected value
    :confused:

there is a jar of coins where after much discussion and taking the guesses for each person in the class, you arrive at the conclusion that the probability distribution for the number of coins is normal with a 160mean + a standard deviation of 60 coins.

What guess should the class make in order to maximise their expected gain?

What is the expected gain and how to we get this answer?
    reinsuranc Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jan 5, 2006, 12:35 AM
    I don't know what you mean by expected gain here.

The expected value is the mean, 160.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 01:07 AM
    If the mean is 160, with a S.D of 60 and a normal distribution, the class should guess anywhere between 160 +-60

So between 100 and 220

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bright red bleeding 12 days before expected [ 1 Answers ]

I took my first BC pill, missed the second, took the third, missed the fourth, took the fifth and sixth, and then stopped taking them. I had unprotected sex four times during that time. My period would normally be due May 18, but today I had bright red (usually I have dark red) blood that came on...

She's not what I expected [ 26 Answers ]

I'm 20 yrs old. I fell absolutely in love with a young girl by accident. I felt too young (-4 yrs) but couldn't help my feelings. She told me everything I ever wanted to hear as if she read a book about me. I can read people very easily, but not her (at first). Almost two years went by of what...

Selling rare US coins on eBay [ 6 Answers ]

I've attended trade shows, visited coin dealers, done all of my due diligence, but have been unable to come up with a reliable source for wholesale rare US coins to sell on eBay. I prefer to sell PCGS or NGC certified rare coins, as those bring in the most money. Does anyone know who I can contact...

Coins collection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Can anyone tell me any website which stores the info of the old coins? And their present market cost?

Coins [ 1 Answers ]

I found a chinese coin in which it says ten dollars. It looks like it's made of nickel and it has a copper center. It also says hong kong on the bottom. 1994 is the year and chinese letters on the top. How much is it worth and can I exchange it at the foreign currency place.

View more questions Search