Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dror Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2003, 05:23 PM
    Access 2000 error
    Hello to all.
    We are using an access database 2000 with 30 users. The dbase size is 50 Gig. For some reason we keep getting an error messsage that the dbase is not in recognized format and has to be repaired. This error can show up to 10 times a day. Please help. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2003, 06:01 AM
    Access 2000 error
    50G?? The limit on an Access MDB file is 2Gig!!

Dror Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2003, 08:13 PM
    Access 2000 error
    Well we have been using it for a while. I don't think the size is the problem.
    CF_Master Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2003, 12:36 AM
    Access 2000 error
    That db size is way too big, especially for access.

What are you storing in the db? You should do some research on maintaining database integrity and referenciality.

Storing large file and pics in a db isn't the way to go, instead you should store the paths to a directory they are stored in on the server.

But I don't think you like that answer, am I right?
    I know this because you asked this question on http://www.experts-exchange.com/ and was given plenty of good advice which you did not seem to like because it all said that you were wrong.
    These are experts in the industry not like this site which is mostly amateurs looking for how to or do it for me solutions.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 23, 2003, 11:47 AM
    Access 2000 error
    But I don't think you like that answer, am I right?
    I know this because you asked this question on http://www.experts-exchange.com/ and was given plenty of good advice which you did not seem to like because it all said that you were wrong.
    These are experts in the industry not like this site which is mostly amateurs looking for how to or do it for me solutions.
    Could you please post a link to that question? I can't seem to find it -- maybe it will help us understand. ;D

I don't know much about access, but yeah, 50GB sounds way too big.

~psi42
    QQapple Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2003, 07:19 AM
    Access 2000 error
    You say that 30 people are using this database, then my guess at your problem is that everyone is using different Microsoft Access (some people use Access 2000, some use Access 97... some use Access XP... )

________

Your datbase is 50G!!

I don't know what you've got there, one question though, do you have a lot of blank cells in your database? I've been told that blank cells use just as much memory as filled cells - to reduce the number of blank cells, you may consider structuring your database so that you do not have a "flat database" but one where you have several tables related to each other - assuming if you haven't done so, you should consult one of those "guide to microsoft Access"/"Access made easy" type books

50G!! Is it possible that your database has a virus attached to it? (I don't know what you have in your database, but the one that I am working on, having more then 20 tables, with each table having 100s to up to 3000 entrées, some having more then 30 fields is only 34Mb) have you scanned you database for viruses?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting an mdb (Access 2000) to exe format [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm working on a database and would like to lock the access to the tables and queries. I was told that the best way to go about it is to convert the mdb file into an exe file. The question is: (1) how do I go about it and (2) is there a better way to lock user acces to the tables/queries/vba...

MS access error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am required to run series of MS Access Queries in a sequence one after another. I want to do this automatically as each query takes like 2-3 minutes. So, I created a form and as soon as the form loads, each query is executed. When I try to run my query for like last 5 day data,...

Access 2000 to 2003 conversions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if you convert Acess 2000 to Access 2003 that it will corrupt or change files at all. I have not found anything signifying that it does anywhere else, but a little reassurance would be nice. Thank you, Jared

Access 2000 and Crystal Reports 8.5 [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of developing an application using Access 2000. I have not been able to find anything on what I want to do. My question is I have setup a switchboard to access reports and forms, I want to have a botton which would do the following items (behind the scenes) 1) execute a...

View more questions Search