Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandito Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation?
    Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old.

Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding.

Clearly this is a huge problem. I have called in Centex to look at it and am waiting on the warranty guy to come out... BUT...
    What do I do and what do I ask for.

I am really hacked off because they built a 2440 sq. foot home on a piss poor foundation.

The date on my driveway says March but I don't know if they pour the driveway later or at the same time as the foundation.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 09:35 PM
    Not exactly sure what you are calling spalling? However concrete ages, and as it does so it can and will change color. Only reasons that I know of to call it faulty is that the concrete is crumbling or gaping cracks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Do you know when your foundation was poured? I'd go back in the newspaper records for that date and check the daily temperature. The concrete guys may have over done a load of calcium in the mix because of extreme tempertures. That will cause spalding. You can expect Centex to be less than helpful since they will not jump at the chance of admitting error. If things get too bad you may need to consult an engineer or your city building department. I'd be totally hacked too.
    bandito Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2007, 07:39 PM
    The concrete is coming off and the crack by this one control joint is perpendicular.
    There are two colors of concrete around that area but other areas also have these pock marks and it is definitely crumbling. The pock marks are all around the foundation on all three sides.. some worse than others. I can stick my finger in this hole in the concrete right under the siding to my knuckle.

Who do I ask to run a sample (can it be done) to determine if the concrete pourers used substandard material or are at fault.

Driveway pour date has march imprinted on it but not sure if they poured all at the same time... so it was during the colder temperatures.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 08:46 AM
    This where it can get expensive. You may need a structural engineer to determine if the foundation is in danger of failing. Looking bad and spalding isn't enough to force the concrete folks to make a repair. If an enginer says it has failed then you should first ask the concrete company to make their own assessment and then you move accordingly based on their response. You would likely need to get an attorney if the concrete company says nothing will be done. All concrete cracks but what you have described beyond the norm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete driveway spalling [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, I have a badly spalled driveway. I am trying to find products that I can use to repair the driveway, preferably not vynal patches. All I have been able to find is ARDEX, but no one will send it to me or tell me where I can purchase it. The spalling is not deep, 1 inch or less. Any help that...

House with obvious foundation settling [ 1 Answers ]

We are looking to buy a house that has obvious foundation settling. Exterior doors and some interior doors are 2 to 3 inches out of square. This house has an unfinished basement and I can't seem to find any serious cracks in the floor or walls. The house was built in 1961 and is in central...

Will mulch against my house foundation cause bug problems? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently ripped out a ton of out of control plants along the side of my house and replaced them with a few small bushes and flowers. I filled in the remaining space with hardwood mulch (with 3 layers of newspaper underneath.) Since then I have been reading about a possible link between mulch...

Spalling cracks in leveling cement. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is it okay or normal after using semi- self leveling cement (ARDEX K-15) to level floors from feather edge to .75”, I notice spalling hairline cracks throughout the installation and I would like to know if this is going to ruin my efforts to level the floor before gluing down...

Broken water main close to house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I just waisted 30 min on my last message that did not take so here a short version. After repair of my main water main ( gray quest coupling cracked between the blue pipe from street and the metal fitting going to 1 of 2?? Valves. The house was built in dallas Texas in 1986, the valves had...

View more questions Search