Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbower2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 01:30 PM
    A reason Why CHild Support Should Be raised
    I want an increase in child support. Its been two years and I have never asked for an increase. My daughter is 8 and she needs this and that and she eats like a pig. THe extra money to cover expenses would be nice. I filled the forms but I need a reason why? A cost ofliving but also food and the new clothes I need to buy. What do I put on the form for my reason?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
    I would start with figuring out an itemized budget --bills, food, clothes, etc...
    But the Judge can also say that some amounts are unreasonable like if you are spending
    $600. A month on food for two.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2007, 01:36 PM
    You will need to show detailed documentation of yoiur expenses.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 01:44 PM
    I'd be curious to know how much of your total income comes from child support. How much if any comes from the government? What percentage of the father's income does he pay in child support?

A lot of those things go into the factor. I believe that any reason you give will prompt the decision making process, but then all of the other factors will come into play.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
    How about the price of gasoline? Itemize the places your child has to be each week. Keep up with every penney you spend; and I'm not kidding. You can take your record of expenses to court and use it in your testimony. Also, an increase is justified by inflation; the value of our money in the U.S. goes down about 3% each year, so you should get a 6% increase just for showing up.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Please don't take my questions as being critical of you in any way, I am only trying to learn along with you. I don't know your situation, and was thinking along the lines that it might depend on if your income went up or down, as well as his, since the agreement went into place initially.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Huh, back when my parents were divorced as I remember it mom never got any more money for me in the 12 years she got child support from my father. If you truly need more money, you first should look at how much your X is making, what percentage of his gross income is going to your child including health insurance. Unethical lawyers can run to court and get way more than is reasonable in some cases. But do you want him as part of your child's life or do you want to stick it to him cause he left you?
    Cristal444 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
    In my state, the child support is refigured every 3 years, unless there is a "major change in circumstances" for the father- a new job with a big pay increase, a new job with a significant pay decrease. The mother has to request the child support be amended every 3 years.
    greg_z Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbower2005
    I want an increase in child support. Its been two years and I have never asked for an increase. My daughter is 8 and she needs this and that and she eats like a pig. THe extra money to cover expenses would be nice. I filled the forms but I need a reason why? A cost ofliving but also food and the new clothes I need to buy. What do I put on the form for my reason??
    All kids eat parents out of House & Home, due to parents make it easy for them to do so. You need to look at, is your income after paying Expenses such as Rent, Utilities (does cable & that cellphone really need to be for more then pleasure does not count unless used for main communications and education purposes, not for babysitting), Medical expenses, school expenses, daycare, clothing & shoes. If it comes out upside down, then you may need to raise it.

Best thing to do, is track everything in Money or Quicken, and use a Spreadsheet for keeping tabs on everything else. Then, when you go to court, you have enough documentation to cover the basis for helping with the raise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search