Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mystm38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 10:04 AM
    2 different versions of windows at startup
    I am redoing a compact computer and it had windows home on it I reformatted and put windows XP pro on it now when I turn the computer on at start up it ask me which version of windows I want to use how do I get rid of the home version ?
    I already reformatted the drive but I can't get rid of the home edition
    :confused:
    Mystm38
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Clean install of XP XP Clean Install

Don't know if this helps -- Maybe someone else has better idea

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
    but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    --Mayo Angelou
    Mystm38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Thanks but not what I'm wanting to do
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    I think what you should have done is partition the hard drive

Install XP HOME on one side --- XP PRO in the other

Don't know if this helps -- Maybe someone else has better idea

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
    but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    --Mayo Angelou
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 10:30 AM
    You can use MSCONFIG to remove the choice to the other OS:
    Start -> Run -> type msconfig, press enter - >Boot.ini tab
    - >click on Check All Boot Paths, does it ask to Remove an Invalid Entry say Yes and let it to finish, restart and now it should boot straight into the valid installation.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
    "Are you sure you formatted it?? How did you format it?? Did you use a specific Software?? You can't format it while in windows?? And when you say you put in XP Pro, how did you do that?"

Need more info on how you got to where you are, the short question can't be answered without the way you installed XP, more info needed

Without what I mentioned above, you basically saying is - you formatted HD, started your PC with a bootable XP Pro disk and installed XP Pro

Before you try to remove this home edition, we need to find out exactly what got you to where you are at.

Post your reply, will check back on FRI
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2007, 09:53 AM
    U don't partition very well, reason is that you don't remove the partition met there before you formatt and install I think that may be what cause the problem, if so try and delete all partition on partition table I mean the that is there before and if it is only single partition delete it and create new one before you will start formting the drive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Startup error on windows XP [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Mr. /Miss. I did deleted the RVHOST.EXE file from my system but still whenever I logon on my windows I get a message says (Windows cannot find the RVHOST.EXE) this message mean that there is a service or a command trying to executed but it could not find the file specified because I did...

Windows XP Startup Problems [ 4 Answers ]

My son has managed to mess up his PC so that now when he turns it on, Windows begins to load like normal and then after a few seconds cuts to a black screen with white type apologizing that things didn't go as planned and offering a few options to correct the matter, like reverting to the last time...

Windows Startup Error [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I'm trying to help my sister with her computer because she can't get online. When she turns her computer on (windows 98) she gets a message stating that there is a windows startup error. It says "try loading SBEINIT.CO before SMARTDRV.exe or minimizing VDISK".How do we do this and what caused...

View more questions Search