Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Clomid and increased chance of multiples
    Hey, I haven't researched this yet... and I will, just thought I would post here to see if anyone had any info or thoughts.

I am on Clomid trying to get pregnant.

My last dose of 50mg did not make me ovulate... shown in blood results. So my doc increased my dose this month to 100mg.

**This is my fertile week so keep your fingers crossed for me :D

Anyway...

I know there is a chance of multiples while on Clomid, 1/10 for twins etc.
    I was wondering do those chances increase as you move to higher doses of Clomid?:confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Nah, not really, Clomid just tells your body to release more eggs. If you are not ovulating on a low dosage, they bump you up to help you ovulate on a higher dosage.

The percentage of multiples remains about the same.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Here is what I found from my research. I am also on Clomid (50 mg) and have started to ovulate now. yippeee!!! Its a tough road isn't it Mack?

In clinical studies, about 30 percent of women taking Clomid became pregnant. Of these pregnancies, 7.98 percent were multiple births, including:

Twins -- 6.9 percent
    Triplets -- 0.5 percent
    Quadruplets -- 0.3 percent
    Quintuplets -- 0.1 percent.

Of the twins, there were five times as many fraternal twins as identical twins.

So I would say it does not change much...
    lulu2912 Posts: 83, Reputation: 4

Dec 18, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Good luck! I took Clomid 50mg and got pregnant the first round, so don't give up hope! I am 14wks 3days! And it's only ONE baby!! I hope this next round works for you!!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 18, 2007, 08:06 AM
    *BABY DUST*

Good Luck, hun!
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Thanks ladies for your quick responses :)
    I was just wondering because my mom's friend was on Clomid and they increased her dosage twice and she got pregnant with triplets!!

Yeah Tuscany... it's rough! Not only do I take Clomid (just finished 100mg dose this month) but I don't have periods. So I also take Prometrium to push a cycle, because without it I don't have one. So the crappy thing is I never know if I am missing a period because I'm pregnant, or just because I haven't started back on the Prometrium. So it's a vicious cycle...

Take Prometrium 10 days
    Wait for period to start
    Start Clomid
    Wait for fertile phase
    Get bloodwork to see if Clomid worked
    Wait to find out if it worked
    Get pregnancy test because I won't have a period but they can't start my next round of Prometrium until they are sure I'm not pregnant
    Then repeat

Ugh...
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    I was just wondering because my mom's friend was on Clomid and they increased her dosage twice and she got pregnant with triplets!!!!

Yeah Tuscany....it's rough! Not only do I take Clomid (just finished 100mg dose this month) but I don't have periods. So I also take Prometrium to push a cycle, because without it I don't have one. So the crappy thing is I never know if I am missing a period because I'm pregnant, or just because I haven't started back on the Prometrium. So it's a vicious cycle....

Take Prometrium 10 days
    Wait for period to start
    Start Clomid
    Wait for fertile phase
    Get preg test because I won't have a period but they can't start my next round of Prometrium until they are sure I'm not pregnant
    Then repeat

ugh.....
    Sounds familiar.But I have had a period the last two months. I go back to the dr. after the new year if I am not pregnant to discuss the next step. Its so funny to say to my husband... SEX NOW!! And have him be all flustered.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Well good luck :D If it doesn't work this round, your doc will probably do what mine did and just increase your dose to 100mg. I didn't even have to go in haha we talked over the phone and she called everything in and sent the lab orders to my home lol.

Yeah... I always tell my husband "It's your lucky week!" LOL
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 08:30 AM

Yeah....I always tell my husband "It's your lucky week!" LOL

Our friends tease us about it. If we don't go out and do stuff with them, they say "It must be a sex week."

Good luck to you!
    Jodie88 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 01:14 PM
    I was just wondering because my mom's friend was on Clomid and they increased her dosage twice and she got pregnant with triplets!!!!

Yeah Tuscany....it's rough! Not only do I take Clomid (just finished 100mg dose this month) but I don't have periods. So I also take Prometrium to push a cycle, because without it I don't have one. So the crappy thing is I never know if I am missing a period because I'm pregnant, or just because I haven't started back on the Prometrium. So it's a vicious cycle....

Take Prometrium 10 days
    Wait for period to start
    Start Clomid
    Wait for fertile phase
    Get preg test because I won't have a period but they can't start my next round of Prometrium until they are sure I'm not pregnant
    Then repeat

ugh.....
    I am in the same boat. I finally had some blood work done and doc wanted to put me on prometrium. I got my period and then I started Clomid, all looked really well according to the doctors office. All my levels were great, and I ovulated on the clomid, great sign, but didn't get pregnant. Now today on my own got my period w/o the help of meds, but going to try clmoid again for round two (wonder if I'd ovulate on my own as well?). I hope this takes, like you MacksMom it's a tough ride waiting, wondering, pregnancy tests was brutal for me when I found out yesterday it was negative. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clomid, provera, and clomid again [ 12 Answers ]

I've had PCOS since puberty. My average was one period a year. I am now 25 and DH and I are Trying to conceive. The doctor put me on provera to bring AF around the clomid 3-7. Here's the part that confuses me... I am supposed to take clomid again 4 weeks after the first day of AF. Am I supposed to...

Increased ammonia smell in urine [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy,...

Is there a % of increased rent in WV [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wheeling, WV - is there a certain percentage that a landlord can raise your rent? Also if I rent a lot in a mobile home trailer park, does WV require a year to year lease or not? Thank you.

Increased Late Periods [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I have been trying for a baby for 4 months, I know this is not that long, she was on the pill for aprroximately 16 months before we started to try and conceive, we thought she was pregnant at the start of January as she was 6 weeks before her last period, then she had it. It has now...

Increased sex drive, pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if early pregnancy can increase your sex drive? I have been trying and last P was 18nov, I have had mild cramping and light headed recently. But more than anything I have to put it politly become exremely aroused! This is all day and night all the time. I am not able to shake the...

View more questions Search