Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2005, 03:54 PM
    Question about laminate flooring, using 2 diff kinds
    Currently our house has a Victorian style laminate floor in the Kitchen. The kitchen floor meets the carpet of the living room in a doorway.

I was was wondering if anyone has used a different type of laminate flooring where it would meet with another room of a different pattern? The kitchen floor is the typical wood colour, lighter brown, and I was thinking of going with a darker finished laminate in the living room, however going with a fdarker brown that somewhat matched the "knots" and "streaks" in the kitchen flooring.

Obviously the laminate would be laid going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 23, 2005, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lbrowne
    Currently our house has a Victorian style laminate floor in the Kitchen. The kitchen floor meets the carpet of the living room in a doorway.

I was was wondering if anyone has used a different type of laminate flooring where it would meet with another room of a different pattern? The kitchen floor is the typical wood colour, lighter brown, and I was thinking of going with a darker finished laminate in the living room, however going with a fdarker brown that somewhat matched the "knots" and "streaks" in the kitchen flooring.

Obviously the laminate would be layed going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?
    Is the only place that the two floors will meet is at the doorway?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 05:52 AM
    I have two different types that meet in my home.

Frankly, I wish I'd have stuck with the same for it all, but installation-wise, there was no problem.

You'll just use one of the border/edge pieces for the place where they meet.
    Your literature should have the various types that they have for covering a place where two surfaces of the same height meet.
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2005, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotta

Yup. :) The standard 3 foot opening or whichever it is.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 23, 2005, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lbrowne

Obviously the laminate would be layed going in the same direcetion as the kitchen. Has anyone done it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lotta

Yup. The standard 3 foot opening or whichever it is.

I would put down the flooring in the other room. If the two floors are the same thickness then there should not be a problem. If you do run into a problem when they meet at the doorway then you can just put in a thresold or transition strip between the two floors.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 08:40 AM
    There you go, Lotta. "Transition Strip" is the term I was missing.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2005, 09:50 AM
    It is your house, if it looks good to you, do it. It should look as good as the common doorway with 2 different carpets on each side. If you buy the same brand of laminate, you may even be able to interlock the planks at the joint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate Wood Flooring [ 5 Answers ]

My husband just recently installed laminate wood flooring throughout the house. Can someone please recommend how to clean these floors? Some people have said just spray a little water and damp mop. Can it be cleaned with any kind of cleaner? I just bought some Murphy's Oil for wood floors but on...

Problems with laminate flooring [ 6 Answers ]

Before I go back to the place that installed my laminate floors, I need to know if there is something I can do. It is so hard to set up a time with them to come back out. There are a few planks that are slightly up at the corners and do not lay flat. When I swiffer, it snags. I have tried...

Laminate flooring problems [ 2 Answers ]

Have you ever heard about using a t-bar when installing laminate flooring. We just remodeled and had the floor professionally installed . Some spots seem to be rippling. The had an inspector come in and verified the installation is good,level,there is a 1/4 in gap around perimeter. It's a top of...

Laying laminate flooring [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of laying laminate flooring in a bathroom and need to cut the laminate to fit around the base of the toilet and the basin pedestal. Is there any gadgets that you can buy to help create a template? Alternatively, has anyone got any advice on how this can best be achieved. I'm...

What kinds of tax return should I file,when is the deadline of them [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I got h1-b visa, arrived and worked in usa in October,2005. I got one w-2. According to w-2 I paid five kinds of taxes:federal income tax,state(new york) income tax,local(new york) income tax, social security tax and medicare tax. I am wondering how many kinds of tax return I should file. I...

View more questions Search