Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mounteajade Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 22, 2005, 02:39 PM
    Mediation or Insurance?
    I accidentally bumped into the car in front of me and caused a small crack on the back bumper of the car in front.
    However, because of the crack, the driver says he needs to replace his whole bumper which would probably cost over $600.
    He said he will not call my insurance if I agree to give him money to fix his car. I called my agent to ask, and my agent said my insurance might rise over $100! Per half a year if he files a claim.
    What should I do? Should I pay for him or have him call insurance?
    I am only a poor student :( and this is the first time I ever got into an accident. I don't know what to do.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 22, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Id find out if that's what it would actually cost. That does sound pretty close though. Now my friend(the dummy) ran in to a tree once and they told him it would be like $ 480.00 to fix it. Being that he's a stranger and you don't really know him I'm not sure that he wouldn't pocket the money then use it for something else and then call your insurance. Best thing to do is you take him over to the shop and you have the shop guy look at the car and tell how much it will cost and then you hand over the money yourself to the mechanic and not ever to the guy who you crashed into. If the guy does not agree to this then that means he is up to no good and you'll just have to call insurance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2005, 02:51 PM
    Insurance
    First was there a police report, it was very common in Atlatna for one party to ask for a cash settlement if they did not have a licence or insurance.

But on the other hand, if you cracked my bumper I would want a new one (or at least a good used one) since one with a crack will be a lot weaker and can be dangous.

What I would do, not legal advice here but my opinion, call several shops and ask them the cost of putting on a re-conditioned and/a new bumper

Then you will know if the 600 is a reasonable price or not
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    first was there a police report, it was very commom in Atlatna for one party to ask for a cash settlement if they did not have a licence or insurance.

But on the other hand, if you cracked my bumper I would want a new one (or at least a good used one) since one with a crack will be alot weaker and can be dangous.

What I would do, not legal advice here but my opinion, call several shops and ask them the cost of putting on a re-conditioned and/a new bumper

Then you will know if the 600 is a reasonable price or not
    I also want to add that if after you call around, and you find 600 bucks is reasonable, you should pay this guy out of your pocket and not through your insurance, since in the long run, you will save money.

Dec 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions. But I don't know anything about cars. How can I find where to call? Who changes and fixes a bumper for a Cadillac ?
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 04:51 PM
    There is no Meditation necessary.
    Insurance is the answer.
    The exact thing happened to me.
    The quote to fix was AUD $1,100.

Best of luck.

Rolcam
    Expert

Dec 23, 2005, 08:05 PM
    Cost
    You merely call any auto repair / body show, give them the year brand and model of the car and they can give you a cost.

But just a off the cuff quess, that does not sound real bad, 600 dollars.

Now most likely the person will take the money and not fix it. Make sure if you do pay them you get them to sign a paper saying this settle all claims from the accident.

If you don't, they could take your money and still claim you owe them, or come up with more repairs latter.
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Dec 23, 2005, 08:31 PM
    In considering whether to pay outright or call your insurance remember to take into account your deductible. Sounds from the above like a payment from you is going to be the least costly. Don't forget to get a signed paper from him verifying that you paid for all the damage that was caused in the accident. Oh, and remember to not admit that it was your fault in the document that he signs! Write it yourself. That ought to cover all your bases.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 23, 2005, 10:22 PM
    Listen to the judge!
    All the judges on TV say to get it in writing and have receipts.I go with whatever Judge Judy says!:cool:

Dec 24, 2005, 03:09 PM
    Thank you everyone for replying!
    The guy already called insurance, so that's how it'll go.
    I guess that'll make it easier for me too.

Wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Expert

Dec 24, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Good luck
    Good luck with the insurance companies, if this is your first accident some companies will not rate you up for it. And of course be careful in your driving so this can not happen again. Also be glad no one was hurt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Car insurance [ 5 Answers ]

What is the minimum amount of coverage needed by law.

Divorce mediation rip off [ 5 Answers ]

This is complicated. I'll try to keep it short. Here goes. My wife moved out of the house and left me with our 2 children. I filed for divorce. When she got the papers she lied and said the kids were living with her and therefore got temporary custody. While she had temporary custody, she moved...

Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know which insurance companies cover bed and breakfast establishments in Montana. We currently have insurance but need a more competitive quote.

View more questions Search