Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 06:10 AM
    The Secret
    Has anyone read this book? I just got it as a present and not quite through the first chapter. Some of the stuff makes sense to me.
    What do you think?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 17, 2007, 08:02 AM
    The Laws Of Attraction (LOA) make sense to me in this way: if you think you're a failure, you will lack motivation to do the next step that will lead you to success. If you have a bad attitude and see yourself as a victim, you will communicate that to others and they will be less inclined to interact with you favorably. The guy who thinks he's unattractive and will never get a date will (guess what) never get a date because he will have a really hard time presenting himself as a desirable and interesting person. Simple.

All the "metaphysical" trappings that New Age writers pile on these LOA are, I believe, completely unnecessary. In my opinion, there's no real Secret in the LOA, and nothing mystical or quantum physical going on... just ordinary human psychology. Note that I'm not saying there's no value here, just that attributing the success of the LOA to something metaphysical sells New Age books & movies and is exciting, but is not necessary to explain why they work (see paragraph one). This Wikipedia article talks about The Secret and provides links to some of its critics:

The Secret (2006 film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In the words attributed to William of Occam, "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity". In more modern terms, KISS:

KISS principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vasily
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Do you think it goes in line with the power of positive thinking? Same thing, different terms?
    Like I said, I just got the book over the weekend, so I am not even out of the 1st chapter. There are things that make sense, like the examples you gave.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat
    Do you think it goes in line with the power of positive thinking? Same thing, different terms?
    I do believe it's the case that they're the same... read for example this page on positive thinking, and this Wikipedia entry on Norman Vincent Peale. As the author of Ecclesiastes wrote, there's nothing new under the sun.

I also see the Laws being related in psychological terms to having an internal locus of control and to positive psychology's learned optimism.

Vasily
    Mrs TY Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
    I saw the movie first, then read the book; which was the movie, word for word. But to me watching the movie had a stronger impact (and was over in 90 minutes) It made the examples clear too and gave a good chuckle here and there. Would probably be easier for people to recognize themselves in it too. I really liked it and got a lot out of it. Realized I had used the laws of attraction at different times in my life and didn't even know it. But being more aware now, I just generally feel more peaceful about a lot of things... I want to show it to all the people I know who act like they have no control over their lives and are always looking for excuses or others to blame for whatever's happening to them. We can create our own lives with our thoughts. I highly recommend renting the movie from the library, Blockbuster, or Netflix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Secret garden 3# [ 527 Answers ]

Yep the gates still open and we still haven't found the key, nothing changes really just to busy to be looking for it. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/theenchantress/doorrothesecretgarden.jpg Keep smiling, keep laughing and don't forget where the garden and your friends are...

Secret Marriage [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I are planning our large wedding in New York for June. The thing is he was in the military and while he was active we secretively got married without telling any friends or family members. Now he is out of the military and we are planning a wedding. We are getting married in New...

Secret, private [ 3 Answers ]

Why is it considered secret, or private not to share your family with your new male friend?

The Secret [ 2 Answers ]

First of all, I'm Wham and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to use the introduction board, I'm from New Zealand, I am a Maori from Opotiki. Has anyone out there seen The Secret, and if you have what do you think

Should I keep it a secret? [ 1 Answers ]

There was this exchange student last year from Germany and he sat behind me in my English Junior class. I didn't get to know him until the last few days of school because I was too shy to interact. When I finally got to know him, he caught my heart. At that time, however, I thought it was just...

View more questions Search