Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Dec 16, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Internet Browser
    When I get sent a link on like aim or something Firefox opens up. Well 1.) Firefox is totally messed up on my computer for w/e reason 2.) I would rather have Opera be used when the link opens.

I already set the internet to opera but it won't work. And its not just opera, because IE won't work either. If I delete Firefox hoping it will set the default as Opera or at least IE, that fails too. All that happens then is well nothing. Nothing pops up
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Go to START --- SETTINGS --- CONTROL PANEL --- ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS --- REMOVE BROWSER

How to make Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla or Opera your default browser

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did,
    but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    --Mayo Angelou
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Dec 17, 2007, 01:17 PM
    You can usually do it from Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab, too. Just pick the program you want to use to open internet links. If that doesn't work, you might have to do some registry editing (permissions for the class keys)... but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Dec 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I may be a little slow but I can't find it in internet options or were those instructions on that website recent or at least I don't think so. None of those buttons or categories could I find on the browser
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
    OK, what I'm hearing you say is that you want Opera to be used as the default browser for every application, right? So when you click on a link in email, AIM, whatever, it brings up Opera? Here are instructions from MozillaZine on setting your default browser in various flavors of Windows (scroll down to where it says "Setting your default browser manually"). Note for future reference that it's useful if you tell us what OS you're running (Win XP, Vista, Mac OS X, etc).

I'm concerned that you say Firefox is "totally messed up" on your system (I assume w/e means whatever). It might mean there's something more serious going on. When you say messed up what do you mean?

Vasily
    TheDawg4114M4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Firefox won't connect to the internet, I don't no if a virus blocker is blocking it but it won't work even if I reinstall it. And I am using Windows XP
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 17, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Try a clean reinstall of Firefox:

1. Backup your Firefox bookmarks via Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/File/Export.

2. Completely remove Firefox via the Add/Remove Programs dialog under Control Panels.

3. Go to the Firefox site and install a fresh version.

4. If needed, restore your bookmarks with Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks/File/Import. (the uninstall may remove your bookmarks as well as everything else)

5. Restart your PC. Start up Firefox and see if it connects.

6. If Firefox isn't connecting, follow the procedure linked in my previous message to set your default browser manually to Firefox. If that still doesn't work, manually set the browser to Opera (or do so anyway if you prefer Opera).

When you start up Firefox, what do you see? A blank Firefox window, a spinning icon indicating its trying to connect, or an error message? Knowing this may help us debug the problem.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Videos won't play on internet or show photos on psp internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my psp not showing videos or photos on the internet, can someone please tell me why?:o

Internet User Stats: Browser, Display, etc. [ 2 Answers ]

1. I've generally relied on w3schools.com for display and browser stastics. I see a bunch of others mentioned here. Have any of you heard good reason to believe any one or two stand out as the best? 2. I'd really like to see some statistics on monitor resolution that break out the "over...

Browser is being hijacked [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, my browser has been hijacked, and every time I click an result in Google I get redirtectyed to an undesirable site, have ran nod32 and spy sweeper both as administrator in safe mode without result. Here is the latest hijsckthis is as follows gfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at...

Ie 6 browser [ 3 Answers ]

How can I reinstall i.e. 6 after being unsuccessful in installing i.e. 7?

View more questions Search