Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadds Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2003, 07:45 AM
    SQL 2000 SP3 Issue
    REWARD: $40.00 to anyone who can solve this. Microsoft is having difficulty with the resolution!!!

The Problem... :-/
    The problem experienced when we upgraded to SQL Server 2000 and is isolated to a very obscure set of circumstances.  When a nested recordset is created using the same table in both the parent and child recordsets AND that table has a primary key on an identity column which is not covered by the table's non-unique clustered index AND the connection variable is re-used when opening each recordset THEN SQL Server 2000 (but not 7.0) implicitly converts the child recordset to a server-side cursor and somehow looses track of, or just ignores, the key column HENCE producing a WHERE clause for the child recordset's update that does NOT contain the primary key column THUS generates a "-2147467259 Key column information is insufficient or incorrect. Too many rows were affected by update."

The Workaround...
    There are at least three ways to fix this specific problem (not including the obvious re-design options).  When the connection is reset for each recordset, or when the "Update Criteria" property of the child recorset is set to "adCriteriaAllCols", or when the primary key column is covered by the clustered index (unique or not, doesn't matter), the problem goes away!

The Challenge...
    Although we have gotten our process to run, we still don't know what the full impact on the rest of the app is.  So, we need to know exactly WHY this behavior changed when we upgrade to SQL Server 2000.  Personally, I'm leaning toward this being an undocumented bug in SQL Server 2000 SP3.  But, I haven't been able to find anything definitive on it yet.  So, I'm forwarding the attached files (below) to Microsoft to get them working on  it.  

Hint...
    This issue does NOT appear to be ADO-version-related.  I've tested it every way possible using ADO 2.5, ADO 2.6 and ADO 2.7 - all gave same results.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Issue [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I found out I was pregnant on February 16th and I am wondering who the father of my baby is. My last period was January 17th. I had sex with the man I hope is the father on both the night of January 24th and the morning of January 25th both unprotected. I also happened to have sex with another...

Debt issue-what do you do first and then.. [ 4 Answers ]

I have read through all the chains and simply could not find a concise answer to my situation. My apologies if this is redundant somewhere. I have about 80k in unsecured debt, which is a result of losing my job a few months ago AND not spending within my means. I have learned the lesson of a...

Tax filing: H1 with H4 issue [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in the US since Feb 2005 and have recd. My W-2 to file for taxes. I am married and have two kids but unfortunately, my wife or the kids have not been able to join me here, in the US, so far (March 2006). Can I file jointly? From what I have been reading from your replies...

Need help with possible fraud issue [ 2 Answers ]

Sort of a complicated matter, but here it goes. My fiancé and I are trying to buy a house. She has some of the typical stuff hanging out on her credit report that you expect after a divorce, and most of that is getting cleared up. One disturbing item, though, has vexed us. There is an account...

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.