Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Dec 21, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Suspicious lump
    Hi everyone, This question is in generalfor woman but if any men have any imput, that would be great. I just came back from the radiologist today because I found a small lump the size of an unpopped popcorn kernal in one of my breasts. The radiologist wasn't sure what it was because it had what looked to be a calcium deposit on the lump itself. The doctor reviewed it and said that there wasn't anything to worry about and that it didn't look cancerous, but they were going to send the report to my primary doctor to see what she wanted to do, ie- remove it or keep an eye on it. I figured it was no big deal until I spoke with my mom, who has had many biopsies and knows a little about this, she said that if the lump has a calcium deposit on it then it is some sort of sign that it may become cancer later on. Im thinking that if this is true I definitely want my doctor to remove it. But what if she doesn't feel its necessary? Do I have the final say? I would appreciate any info. Either on the lump itself or what I should do about my doctor.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 21, 2005, 10:59 AM
    My step mom had a sort of scare a while back. She found a lump but it turned out to be like mommy milk that had dried in to a knot. I believe you have the final say. It doesn't matter if its not cancerous the thing needs to come out or you'll be in some pain later on. What is she just going to leave it there? I swear, some doctors. I hope things turn out good for you.

Dec 21, 2005, 11:08 AM
    Thanks crankiebabie, You know I never thought of that before. It could be some left over milk that just didn't go anywhere. Ill defenitly bring it up to my doctor. Yeah I know, Im not sure if my doctor would leave it there but you know how some doctors are they don't want to do any "invasive" surgery unless they know its going to be a problem. But I swear if she tells me that there is a small possibility of it turning into cancer, I'm going to demad it to be taken out, I'm just hoping that It ends up being my decision. See this has never happened to me before, so Im not sure if I have a final say, geez you would think I did. Im having a follow up next week. Thanks for your imput.:)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 21, 2005, 11:29 AM
    You do have the final say!
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...t+cancer&op=mm

Check the above site to learn more...
    You stated your mom has had several biopsies.. were they all non-malignant or did she have a few that needed removal? Is there history of cancer in your family? Also, not all women are the same, some have normal sized nodes and some of us have larger than normal nodes, and they just feel stranger than what we are used to. If your 'lump' feels harder and is painful to touch, then please follow your doctor's advice upon your next visit. This does not mean that you actually have cancer (it could well be a calcium deposit which can also be easily dissolved or removed). And, if it is, then it does not mean the entire breast must be removed, a simple biopsy and removal of that lump after checking a frozen section of it should suffice if not malignant and not in danger of spreading further. By all means, don't let your mother frighten you any further than you already are. I'm sure she meant well, but in this scenario it's the doctor you should listen to. Wishing you all the best, and Happy Holiays!

Dec 21, 2005, 01:01 PM
    My mom never was diagnosed with breast cancer and she must have had at least five lumps removed. All had been benign. Im not really sure why she had them removed if they weren't malignant, must have been the situation that I'm in right now, her doctor waas probably concerned enough to remove them before it developed into anything. My maternal Aunt passed away from breast cancer 3 years ago. But she was in a worse off situation then I am> She was mentally ill living on the streets with no access to any medical care. By the time my mom's family found her she was in the hospital already dying from it. I know that doesn't make too much of a difference because it is genetic, but at least if something does happen Im in a much better position to find it early. Thanks chery, you always know how to make me feel better,girl

Dec 21, 2005, 01:03 PM
    Oh and also I don't have any pain with this lump whatsover, just a little sore cause I keep poking at it.:p
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 21, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    Oh and also I don't have any pain with this lump whatsover, just a little sore cause I keep poking at it.:p
    You want me to come through those network lines and slap your hand? Quit playing with it, hear me! If you want that darned thing removed, it is your choice, and if your present doc does not want to do it, it might be because he or she's not an expert at surgery, so see someone else with references and have it removed for your own reassurance, since it is in the 'family' any doc will understand your concern. It used to be that the doctors were more than happy to 'cut, cut, cut', but with the budget cut pressed upon them, they think twice, to our detriment. No matter what your choice, have a relaxed and happy holiday!

Dec 22, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Thanks chery, you honestly gave me the push I needed. Thanks for telling it to me the way it is. I believe my doctor will take it out if I push for it, but if she won't I will go somewhere else.:)
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 05:16 AM
    Chery is right. If you want it removed you can request to have it done and they will do it for you. Even if it is nothing you have piece of mind - and at least you won't poke it anymore lol
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    Thanx chery, you honestly gave me the push I needed. Thanks for telling it to me the way it is. I believe my doctor will take it out if I push for it, but if she won't I will go somewhere else.:)
    You know you're welcome, sis. My node is stage 1, but it's in the uterus so I can't poke at it - gosh I just pictured this and it was funny. You know you can contact me for any support you need any time.

Dec 22, 2005, 12:21 PM
    Thanks for being there sweetie, its really good to know that you can lean on someone for support. You too can talk to me if you need any support also. Love you!
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Dec 22, 2005, 12:31 PM
    At your age, most lumps in the breast are just benign conditions. Most cancerous breasts would present with dimpling & nipple discharges. However, if you do have a strong family history, I would suggest you do have a mammogram done. One tip for the ladies would be to do their monthly breast exams 1 week after their period. Why? Because some breasts become engorged & painful during the menstrual period & this would cause you to think that there might be something wrong. The best way would be to have your lump removed & biopsied just to make sure.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 23, 2005, 12:19 AM
    Good job, ladies. Bizygurl, don't take any chances, have the doctor remove the lump. He or she will do a mammogram and if the ultrasound turns up a suspicious mass in your breast, you may want to have a biopsy. It's a procedure in which a doctor takes a small tissue sample from the lump and a pathologist looks at it under a microscope. That's the only way to tell with more certainty whether a lump is cancerous. Even if the biopsy is negative, the lump should be removed. Good luck and keep us posted.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2006, 11:58 AM
    I am a breast cancer survivor, my doc told me I was too young, no family history and cancer is painless. None of that was true. I had cancer and it was found by a fine needle biopsy. I had to go to 3 docs before I found one that would do it, but there it was. I have since had a bilateral mastectomy and am happier and healthier than ever in my life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Behind Ear? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I have descovered that I have a bump behind my right ear. It wasn't there until few days ago when I noticed it. When I touch it, its hard but does not hurt. I don't know what it may be, can some one please tell me what it could be and if I need to see a doctor. Thanks

Suspicious vet care [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first time posting to this particular forum. I don't know if there are any veterinarians out there, but I have a couple of questions that are really bothering me. In November of 2005, my 12 year old Collie / Shepherd mix suddenly appeared very bloated, and felt hard. I took him...

Lump under arm [ 1 Answers ]

Under my arm I have a growth... about the size of a golf ball a bit larger... went to clinic and got mamogram but didn't show so its just under my arm they didn't suggest any kind of dr. or referral of any kind... maybe not having ins. Didn't help with their volunteering info... also I noticed the...

Lump On Leg [ 4 Answers ]

I have a lump on my left leg. I don't have one on my right. The lump is hard. It is above my knee. I t is NOT painful at all. It is about 1 1/2 wide and 1 1/2 long. What should I do or should I be consernd? :confused:

A Lump? [ 1 Answers ]

This is kind of awkward... but, recently I found that I have a small lump on the inside of my.. ehm... butt? I have no idea what it is and am concerned it might be a tumor. I'm hoping that I am just jumping to conclusions and worrying about nothing, but it's bothering me. It doesn't hurt, or itch,...

View more questions Search