Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 AM
    Huckabee :Foreign policy
    When I read the Huckster's foreign policy essay at 'Foreign Affairs 'Mag. Why did I think I was reading Democrat talking points ?
    Foreign Affairs - America's Priorities in the War on Terror - Michael D. Huckabee

The United States, as the world's only superpower, is less vulnerable to military defeat. But it is more vulnerable to the animosity of other countries. Much like a top high school student, if it is modest about its abilities and achievements, if it is generous in helping others, it is loved. But if it attempts to dominate others, it is despised.
    The Bush administration's arrogant bunker mentality has been counterproductive at home and abroad. American foreign policy needs to change its tone and attitude, open up, and reach out.
    On diplomatic relations with Iran :
    "When one stops talking to a parent or a friend, differences cannot be resolved and relationships cannot move forward. The same is true for countries."
    Huckabee's fantasy about negotiating with Iran ignores the fact that the Europeans;presumably less hostile to Iran than the U.S.;have gotten nowhere with diplomacy.

He echo's Obama's folly in his call to attack al Qaeda in Pakistan :
    "Whereas our failure to tackle Iran seems to be leading inexorably to our attacking it, our failure to tackle al-Qaida in Pakistan seems to be leading inexorably to its attacking us again."

To be honest there are some good ideas in the essay ,but in his attempt to differentiate himself from President Bush he has created a disjointed and weak policy paper.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
    It's like bad journalism in that it is ignoring facts contrary to its conclusions; but it certainly follows the mantra that 'America got what it deserved' On 9/11
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 04:14 AM
    When people started comparing Huckabee to Jimmy Carter I thought they were going a little over board. Based on this essay I'm not so sure.

Their comparison was primarily based on an unknown Southern Governor suddenly taking Iowa and propelling to the nomination . I'm hoping the better analogy is with Howard Dean... meteoric rise and a melt down.

We cannot live with al Qaeda, but we might be able to live with a contained Iran.
    We lived with a "contained "Soviet Union for years before Reagan decided it was better to defeat them.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Dec 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Huckabee also forgets that the Soviets were "contained" because they were afraid of mutually assured destruction (MAD) that would be caused by an attack against us. They didn't want to die, so they didn't start anything direct against us, nor did we with them.

Iran has no such fear. They are Islamofascists who have no fear of dying, who actually WANT to die for their cause. They are not afraid of their own destruction, and MAD is not a deterrant for them. So how do you "contain" Iran without being able to project a fear of their own deaths onto them?

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Elliot . Foreign Affairs has published similar essays from almost all the major contenders from both parties . I could've sworn at times I was reading from a Dennis Kuchinch authored article.

If the Huckster is the nominee I'm going to have to think hard and swallow hard before I vote for him . I can't believe he is emerging and I hope the Republican primary voters understand there are much better choices running . He rivals Ron Paul except at least Ron Paul's positions are rooted in Republican traditions (albiet out of date ones ) . All the Huckster is doing is savagely attacking the Bush foreign policy FROM THE LEFT .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between domain group policy and DC policy? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, may I know the difference between domain group policy and domain controller policy. If I want to restrict a user who is accessing the local drives and CD drive of a client machine and internet. How can I prevent the user/user. Thanks varughese abraham.

Our FAILED foreign policy [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I wonder how long Bush going to continue to appease 1) Mushariff, 2) Abbas, 3) the Saudi Royal Family, 4) Hamas, 5) Olmert, 6) Al Qaida in Pakistan, 7) Syria’s Assad, and to a lesser extent 8) Mubarak in Egypt? I wonder why our Secretary of State is going to the Middle East instead of...

A Child's Guide To United States Foreign Policy [ 5 Answers ]

This piece is currently floating around cyberspace. Q: Daddy, why did we have to attack Iraq? A: Because they had weapons of mass destruction honey. Q: But the inspectors didn't find any weapons of mass destruction. A: That's because the Iraqis were hiding them. Q: And that's why we...

Foreign policy [ 15 Answers ]

Why so much concern over foreign policy when it is dictated by domestic policy. So if we are unhappy with foreign policy we should analyze our domestic policy.

Inconsistent foreign policy [ 16 Answers ]

Why do we do business with China which is a communist country and refuse to do business with Cuba and pressure other nations not to do business with Cuba because it is a communist country? BTW We also give aid to communist North Korea whenever it promises not to build nuclear weapons.

View more questions Search