Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theotheuke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Toilet bowl water level slowly drops.
    My toilet was flushing poorly, after a good session of plunging it is working decently again, however another problem has arose. When the toilet is flushed all waste is taken away,then the bowl refills as does the tank,OK so far. When the tank and bowl are filled, what happens next is that the water level in the bowl slowly drops, to the point that appears to be the level of the toilet trap. What could be making this happen?
    All other household plumbing appears to function properly.

Theo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Has this been a ongoing problem or did it just start? Was anything dropped in the toilet bowl lately? Regards, Tom

Dec 16, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Not an ongoing problem, just happened as described. Of course I have two young daughters who are going down "denial aisle" when I quizzed them if any thing was dropped down the toilet. I've tried to get a snake down it with no success, the snake only goes so far (it may be that I have hit the blockage). My next step will be to uncouple the toilet and examine from the base end. I won't be doing that today because we are having a party today and also we are in the middle of a blizzard.

Theo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 16, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theotheuke
    Not an ongoing problem, just happened as described. Of course I have two young daughters who are going down "denial aisle" when I quizzed them if any thing was dropped down the toilet. I've tried to get a snake down it with no success, the snake only goes so far (it may be that I have hit the blockage). My next step will be to uncouple the toilet and examine from the base end. I won't be doing that today because we are having a party today and also we are in the middle of a blizzard.

Theo
    You don't use a snake on a toilet. Purchase a toilet auger,(see image) and auger out the bowl. If that doesn't get it do you need instructions on how to pull the toilet and go in from the bottom? Regards, Tom

Dec 17, 2007, 03:10 AM
    I will consider the auger, my fear is if the obstruction is a hard object and it goes down the main drain it might cause greater headaches down the line. And yes I have removed toilets so I know that part of the job. I just recently reno'd the bathroom and I sealed the base of the toilet with silicone and now Iwith have to clean all that off, just added work I didn't want to get into.
    After Iclear all the snow the blizzard left I will head out the home depot and get the stuff I need Thanks.

Theo
    jmm22243 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Has this been a ongoing problem or did it just start? Was anything dropped in the toilet bowl lately? Regards, Tom
    I have a similar/same problem but with a different twist. Last week I had my drain pipes replaced (totally blocked with tree roots). The plumber ran the snake down through the hole under the toilet but couldn't get through. So, he dug up the yard from the house to the street (city sewer), replaced the pipe, and reset the toilet. I have a handicapped toilet about 2 years old. Since the toilet was replaced the water level drops. When the toilet is flushed the water comes up to the normal level in the bowl. Over a period of about 30 minutes all the water drains out. There shouldn't be any more clogs. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet water level drops and gurgles while the washer is on spin cycle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just noticed that when my washing machine on the spin cycle it causes the water level in my toilet to drop and make a sucking sound. I haven't noticed any odors or slow drains around the house. Is this normal? Is this related to my home's septic system? Or is it just because my...

Toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

After installing a new valve the water level in the toilet bowl is too high. Is there a regulater on the valve?

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 2 Answers ]

How do I increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 3 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet, the bowl empties as usual and fills as usual, but the water level in the bowl begins to slowly drain and maintains a lower lever than normal. I don't know what is causing this or how to correct the situation. This has been going on for approximately a week. I have checked...

Want the water level in the Toilet Bowl [ 2 Answers ]

My crazy grandfather is hell bent on lowering the level of the water in the toilet bowl. Why... I don't have the faintest clue, but when he has something in his head he will not rest until he gets an answer and that is why I have to find out if this is actually possible? I know about the...

View more questions Search