Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoda Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2005, 10:00 PM
    HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace...
    Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on..

Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove...
    Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon.

My husband went up on the roof when it stopped raining,. and sealed the flashing... all around... ( with a sealer that Ace Hardware boys recommended)

It was dry enough for awhile to let the seal dry ontop of the roof.

Then it began to rain again... and it started dripping again...

Only now... upstairs in the front room, around the fireplace... the carpet is wet.

About 2 feet out... all around the fireplace...

Any ideas? We would appreciate it sooo much !
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 21, 2005, 06:16 AM
    Do you have a chimney cap?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 07:04 AM
    Lotta asks about the chimney cap because water could be going down the vent and leaking out. You could check if there seems to be water inside the stove, but not on the outside of the vent, it is likely it is coming in the vent. If sealing around the vent changed where the water is coming in, I would look at the area more. You may want to inspect things in the attic if you can. I discovered a leak this year between the rubber roof jack and the pipe going up through it. A little tar there fixed the problem.

I like the local Ace hardware. You seldom go wrong following their advice, and often their prices are the same or less than Lowe's and Home Depot.
    yoda Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 11:43 AM
    CHIMNEY LEAK.. really a wood surround with 3 pipes
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING :>)

I am sorry... I described it incorrectly... it is not a chimney if you will, it is a wood box surround... with pipes and caps...

There are 3 metal stove pipes... side by side.. going horizonal like this _________

Just pretend you see 3 stove pipes sticking up... the line represents the wood surround box... ( it looks like a chimney only wood... )

Here is a picture of something similar.. only ours is wider... to hold 3 pipes.. and is wood looking.. to match the house.. and the pipes stick up higher... and the caps are larger like big baking pans...

See attachment:

CAPS:
    Yes... each pipe has a large 16 in by 14 in baking pan looking cap... ) approx. each one looks pretty big) My husband has been up... I am trying to help him :>)

The pipes are visible above the wood surround box... about 14 inches... and they stick up with their individual caps on.
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 12:35 PM
    Pros call them coolie caps, not pie plates. Usually something is installed to keep rain out. Surprisingly, it can be a slightly bigger pipe that isn't sealed to the vent. Sounds like maybe your husband dabbed tar where the water was coming in, and it found another place. I guess look things over, and try again. Part of the wood or vinyl chimney could need caulked too.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 21, 2005, 03:22 PM
    Your wood box is called a chimney case. Check on the chase cap all of the seams... probably sheet metal... and where the pipe(s) exit the chase. Make sure the wood joints on the upper 1/2 of the chase are tight also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

New carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had new carpet installed in my home and each time I vacuum it, the vacuum leaves fuz on the carpet. Is this normal for new carpet or is it a problem with my vacuum, which is also new. We have low pile carpet and the vacuum is set on medium height.

Chimney starter [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to make my own chimney starter for charcoal grill./ Think use large cans but unsure where the air holes would be placed and what size. Many thanks

Carpet spots [ 4 Answers ]

Lately our carpet has developed these spots about dime sized all over the living room. We thought they were spills from our 1 yr old but they keep multiplying without cause. We think it might be mold but we are not sure. Has anyone seen this and what should we do? We are putting in laminate...

View more questions Search