Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaClend Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 11:52 PM
    What are grandma's rights to visitations (I live in CA)
    My daughter is in jail now in California. We have raised her daughter (my granddaughter) for almost two years of her life. My daughter and son-in-law are separating after four months of marriage. Tomorrow he wants to take granddaughter as "next custody in line." What are my visitation rights as a grandma?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
    I think you should have some rights. Does your daughter still have visitation rights? I think that it would be spelled out in any separation agreement. I know that my parents were entitled to their visitation rights to my child when I was going through a divorce... it was specified that their visitation was to take place during my regularly scheduled visits.

Sorry I do not know any laws for CA, and only know what my own case was in OH.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
    Is he the biological father?

Dec 15, 2007, 06:05 AM
    The father is biological. He will be coming in about three hours to take granddaughter today (Dec. 15). Will I get into trouble if I won't let him take her?
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
    You might. Depends on factors such as if he wants to push it as far as kidnapping goes. I think you really need to get real legal advice. I know you don't want to make a scene which will make your grand daughters life even more traumatic. Have you talked with the father about your wanting to keep up with visitation? Hopefully you can all work together to make the transition as smooth as possible for the child.

I know it hurts, and wish I could make it less so for you.

Dec 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Thank you for your posting. Her father took her this am. Yes, it is very painful for the whole family and me. I hope I will see her this Monday night. I wonder if there is a grandparents support group online. Anyone know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandma's Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I'm hoping I can get some good advice from some of you out there. Here goes.... My 21 year old son has been living with his girlfriend (we'll call "Julie") for 2 ½ years now. In Oct., 2004 they had a little girl named Alannah. Things have been really "Rocky" with them since they moved in...

I live in nj is 7 mnts old to young for over nights and regular visitations [ 2 Answers ]

I live in jersey and not married I have a 7 mnt old dec 15 here's the questiong the father doesn't have a job he hasn't for 3 mnts now I haVE moved back with my parents because made us get evicted. Now the father has refused to change diapers feed my child anh since we left the apt in sept he...

I live in nj is 7 mnts old to young for over nights and regular visitations [ 4 Answers ]

I live in jersey I have a 7 mnt old dec 15 here's the questiong the father doesn't have a job he hasn't for 3 mnts now I haVE moved back with my parents because he made us get evicted. Now the father has refused to change diapers feed my child . Since we left the apt in sept he has only wANTED TO...

My 4yr old son sleeps in grandma's bed during sleepovers [ 3 Answers ]

I need help. My 4yr old has a incredibly close relationship with his grandma(my mother-in-law). He goes over there every weekend and spends the night. He sleeps in the same bed with her. I think he is much too old to be doing this and I never really liked the idea when he was younger but I was so...

Foreclosure on house I live in key west Florida what are my rights as a tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I live in key west Florida irecently receive a notice in the mail stating July 31 2007 there will be an auction forclosing the property I live in. so do I have any right to remain in the house . The proerties aren't selling well in key west right now I'm assuming the bank will buy it then try and...

View more questions Search