Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkennedy99 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Dog sneezing and itching a lot
    My 4 1/2 month old golden-poodle mix has been sneezing a lot and scratches at his face/ eyes. He now has reddish rings around the outside of his eyes. Could this be an allergy to something? I asked the Vet the last time we were in and he didn't think it was anything.

Also, please note, my dog is in on medication call Metronidazole for a parasite. I'm not sure if he could be reacting to this medication, but he's scratched at his face/ eyes since we got him.

Thanks,
    Joe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
    That is awfully young to have allergies. Get back with the vet. Maybe if that vet isn't interested in treating the problem, find one that is. Many medicines give some dogs side effects. If the parasites don't clear up soon, maybe it is time for a different medicine.

You may find some of the material helpful for other things at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Dec 14, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy99
    My 4 1/2 month old golden-poodle mix has been sneezing a lot and scratches at his face/ eyes. He now has reddish rings around the outside of his eyes. Could this be an allergy to something? I asked the Vet the last time we were in and he didn't think it was anything.

Also, please note, my dog is in on medication call Metronidazole for a parasite. I'm not sure if he could be reacting to this medication, but he's scratched at his face/ eyes since we got him.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Thanks for the quick response. He should be off the meds by next week, I plan to call the Vet tomorrow to discuss. My Vet seems to blow off my concerns sometimes, but I'm a new dog owner so I may not be asking the right questions.

J
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:57 PM
    If you are asking about what you don't understand, they are the right questions.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 07:15 PM
    I agree with labman. There are no dumb questions when it comes to your dog's health. Your vet knows you are a new pet owner. You are paying for his time. He should not be "blowing off" your concerns. If he feels it is nothing to be worried about he should state why. If he tells you that you are worrying over nothing without further explanation as to why he is sneezing and scratching at his eyes all the time, you might want to find another vet. Just as an FYI, since he is a mix, he may be prone to whatever health issues are generally found for either breed. Poodles are prone to leaky eyes, allergies, and skin issues.

Dec 15, 2007, 06:32 PM
    OK, I went back to the Vet today. They said that since he is pooping OK (and it's solid) and keeping food down most of the time, it's probably just sensitily from the Giardia and medicine, Metronidazole. They did give me another antibiotic for his sneezing, Amoxicillin, and gave me some Iams vet formula solid food to try. I will give it a few more days and see if this stuff works. If he's still vomiting and sneezing, the Vet said they could X-Ray him (however, since food is passing o.k. they did not think he has a block from eating a toy or something.) Still confused on the sneezing as it began a good week after the vomitting and diahierra from the Giardia.

Also, I'm getting hammered on these Vet fees. Do you guys use Pet Insurance?

thanks,
    Joe
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
    I don't have pet insurance. I took a bad hit early this year, $1200 when my old dog had a tumor removed. As for the routine care, I can't imagine insurance wouldn't just add their overhead and profit.

At least I have an out on the puppies. Anything I can schedule at the school they belong to is free. The only time I concluded the 500-600 mile trip was worth while, was when Zeke needed orthodontel work.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I don't have pet insurance either. I have an account that I put money into every month from the limited income that I receive that pays for any bills I am not expecting. It includes the dog's medical bills along with my medical bills not covered, taxes, maintenance items on the house,. anything that is unexpected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sneezing cat [ 2 Answers ]

My cat recently has started to sneeze regularly. We recently obtained a puppy and it seems to correspond to this time frame of when cat started sneezing. Took to vet emergency could not find anything obviously wrong. Any suggestions?

Sneezing cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 15 years old, is an inside cat and just started sneezing A lot day and night. He's never done this before. What is wrong?

Sneezing cats [ 3 Answers ]

In March I had 2 cats shipped to me here in Montana. One was from Minnesota and the other from Alabama. Since the day they arrived they both sneeze and fling boogers like crazy. They have been through 3 different kinds of anibiotics and still sneezing. I'm beginning to think it is because we...

Sneezing Cat [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted my cat and she is about 1 1/2 years old & in the last week has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused:

Sneezing cat [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is about 11/2 years old & in the last couple of weeks has started to sneeze, frequently! Can you tell me why?:confused: Is she alllergic to somethning & if so how do I narrow it down?? Crazyhatlady

View more questions Search