Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Dec 13, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Too much sleep? Bad?
    So I was reading some crazy article online saying, people who sleep large amounts of hour I nthe day shorten their life.

This can not be true..

I mean, my friend sleeps the majority of the day (he says he is tired but I know he is just lazy haha)

He seems fine to me.

Someone help me better understand.

That article was false, right?

Thanks y'all!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
    There are so many hours each day, so the more of them you are sleeping, the less of each day you have to do stuff.

But, tired people drive into traffic accidents just like drunk people. Tired people are more short-tempered and impatient. Tired people do not think as clearly as those who are rested.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 11:20 PM
    And lazy people might develop health problems down the road as a result of the lack of exercise. People who sleep more might do so because they already have health problems. It sounds like the article you read did not distinguish between healthy and unhealthy people, nor the reasons for their sleeping. Only average lifespans and how much sleeping was reported. Those people might have had shorter lives for a lot of reasons. Not necessarily because of the sleeping habits.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
    If they are over sleeping that could mean they have health problems or vitamin deficiencies and aren't exercising their body. They could also end up fat or no muscle tone and have a harder time catching their breath. Often when people retire from their job they end up getting lazy and sleeping a lot and go down hill.
    So they could die earlier than somebody who is active and taking care of themselves.
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Thanks everybody! :)
    TheDawg4114M4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I saw in time magazine that you should get 7-9 hours. Any more or any less is not good on daily basis. That's what the magazine said so no one yell at me kthx
    Santi Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Sleeping more than 8 or 9 hours a night is a sign of possible adrenal or thyroid imbalance. I think the underlying issue with shortened life spans in correlation with too much/little sleep has more to do with the issue of why a person is sleeping so much. If a person needs to sleep as much as your friend, it means the body is stressed internally. One or more of his organs are overworking itself, causing the body to feel the need to refuel at a greater rate than most through additional sleep. He may consider testing for hypothyroid issues or adrenal fatigue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't sleep [ 10 Answers ]

Ok so I have a bit of insomnia and I like to read to pass the time... So I usually just look at a magazine before hitting the hay, but I'd rather being reading a good book, so I'm looking for a few good suggestions... Please no horror types or sci-fi. Thanks!:o :o

I can't sleep. [ 13 Answers ]

I have started staying up to 7 AM. The next day it was 8 AM. Next day it was 9 AM. Next day it was 5 hours later (2 PM). I really need to start going to bed early again (at least 11:30). I have a lot to do and I have to start waking up at a normal time. The only problem is I can't.. Its like...

Sleep [ 7 Answers ]

Is it true that you can die faster by not getting any sleep, then by not getting any food? I know this probably has been touched on before. Does anybody have any sleeping issues? Problems? Have you dealt with them or is it still haunting you. For me, sitting here on my computer, feeling...

Now she won't sleep at all [ 5 Answers ]

It has been a week of crate training so far for our 10 week old beagle. We had some problems with her pooping in her crate, found out she had worms and diharia, stool is now firm sometimes and super loose others. She is on a pill for her diharia and we gave her her worm pill last night. She is...

View more questions Search