Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 19, 2005, 06:47 PM
    Addictive Website
    I use my laptop for work and my desktop to view news, look up information or items that I need and for e-mail. Never had an inclination for chat-lines etc. A few days ago I posted a thermostat question that labman was kind enough to address. Soon I found myself reading new posts, and throwing in my two cents when I thought appropriate. Now I spend more time hunched over my computer than I think prudent, reading old and new posts. Will this fascination with other peoples problems/questions wane with the passage of time, or should I begin to worry?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2005, 07:15 PM
    Site
    These sites can become adictive, I have been doing them for for about 7 years now on various areas. First it should never interfere with you work, and when it starts effecting your life, it is too much

Never allow anything to control you, you always have the control
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 07:24 PM
    Be afraid, very afraid.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 08:02 PM
    Some people spend incredible amounts of time on this site, as can be seen by examining the number of posts attributed to the user. Personally I only do it as a hobby, when I have some spare time at home - never at work. I don't even know if this site is firewalled at my place of employment or not because I've never tried to access it. It's fun to "throw in your two cents", as you mentioned. I guess any website has the potential to be addictive, depending on what one is naturally inclined to be drawn to. If you feel like it's getting out of control, then walk away and do something else like watch a movie.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Websites can definitely be addicting. I've been coming to this site more often than usual lately, but it's mostly because I've been off work for a couple of weeks, and the weather is VERY cold here. I would never access the site from my work, even though I work independently in a studio space and have internet access there. I personally find that my interest in various internet activities (and video games as well) waxes and wanes depending on what else I'm doing in my life at the time. Once my fiancé is off work in a couple of days, I probably won't be online as much, because I'll have him to entertain. ;)

So I guess the best thing for you to do is see if your use of this site interferes with other activities, your work, and relationships with people. If it does, I'd say you have a problem. Make sure you aren't doing it in place of other more fun or useful activities.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 19, 2005, 08:45 PM
    I work during the day and my job is busy and hectic, but I find the time to visit this board at night to give a couple of advice to people who are in need of help, whether it's beauty, fashion or any situation. I don't come to this board on weekends because my boyfriend and people are in demand of my time. Besides, I love to go out and spending time with people that are close to me.

People who feel that they have become addicted to this site must learn to have self control. Especially, if they have kids, your family should be the most important thing in your life. So try to spend more time with your love ones and less time on Internet boards.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 19, 2005, 08:52 PM
    I shall heed the words of caution.

Thank you all.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 19, 2005, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Be afraid, very afraid.
    I second that.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 20, 2005, 01:48 AM
    Hehehehehe, we've got you now and we're not letting go ;)
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 02:08 AM
    I have to admit I really enjoy coming on this site. I should not really be coming on here so much during work time - but it's so stressful that coming on here talking to you guys keeps me completely sane and helps me to get the stuff that build up inside me off my chest. So I guess you call it therepy in a way and you are all my counselors lol
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 20, 2005, 02:21 AM
    Addiction
    I am at work,in the office.I should be preparing the day center rota,plus outreach staff rota's,but here I am on this site,but I don't think it's addictive,addictive,addictive,addictive:D

Nah,that was a lie.I don't go into work today till 11:am,UK time.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 02:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I am at work,in the office.I should be preparing the day center rota,plus outreach staff rota's,but here I am on this site,but I dont think it's addictive,addictive,addictive,addictive:D

Nah,that was a lie.I dont go into work today till 11:am,UK time.
    I don't usually start until 10am (UK time) but I am in earlier today as I have to leave earlier. I am doing a Children's Christmas disco from 5 -7pm - so hopefully that will get me in the Christmas spirit.

I really should do some work - we have 2 weddings this week and I have got to clear my desk as I finish work on Friday and then I have 2weeks off. I did not have to book it either!!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Addictive
    Hi,
    It's the same as anything else; spend your time on what is important, and what you need to do, or like to do.
    Some have more time to spend on a computer, others don't have much time at all, due to more pressing matters. Some have part-time jobs on computers.
    Any site can be good, whether it's a Group set up by you, a chat site, or a question/answer site. Some like to swap craft pictures; as my wife is the founder and moderator of such a site. Due to health, she stays in most of the time.
    It all depends on you.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Dec 20, 2005, 07:12 AM
    This site can be addictive. Im a stay at home mom so I can spend a little extra time on this site than most people can. But not all day or for hours on end. I can't if I did that nothing would get done during the day. Sometimes Ill be on this site and loose track of time. Its crazy. But I don't respond to hundreds of posts at a time I look to see which ones that I can offer valuable advice or words of encouragement. I don't respond to ones that I knowingly can't offer help for(like technical computer problems) I don't mind spending time her because this is something I enjoy.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    This site can be addictive. Im a stay at home mom so I can spend a little extra time on this site than most people can. But not all day or for hours on end. I can't if i did that nothing would get done during the day. Sometimes Ill be on this site and loose track of time. Its crazy. But I don't respond to hundreds of posts at a time I look to see which ones that I can offer valuble advice or words of encouragement. I don't respond to ones that I knowingly can't offer help for(like technical computer problems) I don't mind spending time her because this is something I enjoy.
    I agree with you totally. It can be addictive - and it is so easy to lose track of time.

Dec 20, 2005, 07:28 AM
    You know what's really funny? What gets me in trouble is when I type in a post and then someone responds to it, I always have to see what others wrote to respond back to it. I don't mind though. Its just funny.:p
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:34 AM
    you know whats really funny? what gets me in trouble is when I type in a post and then someone responds to it, I always have to see what others wrote to respond back to it. I don't mind though. Its just funny.:p
    I do the very same thing - that's where the addiction comes in I think :p

Dec 20, 2005, 07:44 AM
    I haven't found any other sites like this on the web. Are there any other help sites like this one? The ony ones I have found are message boards that only have teeny boppers on them. Those aren't very thrilling, 4 sure.:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:46 AM
    I haven't found any other sites like this on the web. Are there any other help sites like this one? The ony ones I have found are message boards that only have teeny boppers on them. Those arn't very thrilling, 4 sure.:rolleyes:
    Not at all - but I do have a good laugh at some of them lol

Dec 20, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Oh they are hilarious, I had a twelve year old boy hitting on me. I was like what in the world is this! I posted a message to someone about a break up she was going through and this kid responded asking me what I looked like and some other things that are way to inappropriate to mention here. He was like twelve years old. Where are these parents? Anyway needless to say I won't be going back there again, eeewww!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Website traffic [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best way to get FAST website traffic without spending a fortune on pay per click?

Music website [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website where I can listen to full length songs for free?

Age of website [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I want to know the age of web-site, I meant to say when the site was made? When was Its domain registered? And how I can check about informations of perticular site Regarding this topic? Is there any method to know about it? Is there any trick That will show me what is the...

Using ask me website [ 8 Answers ]

How can I use this website,step by step please,and how can I ask anonymously.thx a lot

View more questions Search