Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    Oh they are hilarious, I had a twelve year old boy hitting on me. I was like what in the world is this! I posted a message to someone about a break up she was going through and this kid responded asking me what I looked like and some other things that are way to inappropriate to mention here. He was like twelve years old. Where are these parents? Anyway needless to say I won't be going back there again, eeewww!
    OMG - that's just wrong!! - but they are funny.

The language used is amusing - you can tell just how young they are bless then - and their problems always seem so trivial compared to ours lol
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Dec 20, 2005, 08:06 AM
    Oh I know, I wanted to say "your twelve" you shouldn't be concerned with boyfriends or girlfriends. I don't know I never really thought about stuff like that at that age I still played with Barbies.hee, hee! Hey just realized what was this Thread about? Did we get way off the topic or what?:p
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 08:16 AM
    I never thought about stuff like that either. I mean I always wanted someone to dance with at school discos (just because everyone else did) but I was more interested in having fun with my friends.

My little brother is 8yrs old and he knows about sex & everything - it's disturbing to hear some of the things that come out of his mouth.

Boy - we did get way off track lol
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 20, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Coming to this site has improved how I feel about myself. It used to be that I did not know what to say to people when they needed advice and I always felt useless. Now Im much better at it than I thought. I have suffered from depression for some years now and when I come in here and can help people then It helps take my mind of things. I don't feel like Im addicted to the site. I just feel that I am useful for something.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
    I haven't found any other sites like this on the web. Are there any other help sites like this one? The ony ones I have found are message boards that only have teeny boppers on them. Those arn't very thrilling, 4 sure.:rolleyes:
    Hey Girl,

Try AllExperts.com That used to be my home Q&A site until I navagated over here.( I still post on the plumbing page) At AllExperts you're on your own. The questions are directed at you personally. There's no interaction with the other experts and this site with its expert forums are more chatty and expert friendly. You might also try Answerway.com but the experts on the experts forum there are, in my estimation, all certifiably insane. A few that posted over here were banned after a few posts. But then the experts over there might think I'm certifiably insane.
    Have fun, Tom

Dec 20, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Speedball, thank you for the information. Its nice to know that there are other sites out there to get involved with. Although I am a bit partial to this one.:)
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Dec 20, 2005, 04:33 PM
    I just love hearing that people love this site so much. Yaaayyyy!! :D

Oh my lord, help me, I just posted my first smiley...
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 20, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Speedball1, I know you're a veteran expert from AskMe.com, and I appreciate your consideration for others. But I don't thing it's right to refer people to websites similar to Help Me Help Desk because the moderators are trying to get more experts to join this great board. The majority of members here are warm and friendly people that give good advice. When I was new to this site, I felt welcomed by Fred, Chery, ScottGem and others. I wasn't going to stay due to work and other obligations, but Chery has posted some encouraging words to me on some of the threads, therefore, it made me stay to help out people. I'm happy coming here, I think this site is so much better than those other sites on the Internet.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 08:01 PM
    Comment on admin's post
    Yes admin the site is AWESOME! I love it and keep up the good work!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 08:03 PM
    This site can be addictive. Im a stay at home mom so I can spend a little extra time on this site than most people can.
    Oh YIKES I'm going to be a stay at home mom soon too, hope I don't get seriously addicted then! ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettynPetite1
    Speedball1, I know your a veteran expert from AskMe.com, and I appreciate your consideration for others. But I don't thing it's right to refer people to websites similar to Help Me Help Desk because the moderators are trying to get more experts to join this great board. The majority of members here are warm and friendly people that give good advice. When I was new to this site, I felt welcomed by Fred, Chery, ScottGem and others. I wasn't going to stay due to work and other obligations, but Chery has posted some encouraging words to me on some of the threads, therefore, it made me stay to help out people. I'm happy coming here, I think this site is so much better than those other sites on the Internet.

Gee Pretty,

That's exactly what they said over at AnswerWay when I trolled for experts to come over here and check us out. I'm not attempting to get experts to move out of AMHD there was a question up and I answered it. I'm not detracting from this site. I'm helping to build it. But I do appreciate your criticism. Your loyalty is admirable and I'm glad you decided to stay also.
    Regards, Tom
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2005, 09:53 PM
    From the heart
    Being a people person with nuthin' else to do I love trying to give those in need the benefit of my experience hoping it makes a difference.I've come to view some of the regulars to this site as friends and just good people.ok maybe I have gotten addicted to this site but so what, would you prefer I did crack or what!:cool:

Dec 21, 2005, 04:43 AM
    I wasn't necessarily asking about other sites because I wanted to leave this one. I was just curious to know if there are ones similar to this one, since I'v seen many that are'nt that great. I love this site, are you kidding I wouldn't dream of leaving this!:D
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 21, 2005, 10:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Gee Pretty,

That's exactly what they said over at AnswerWay when I trolled for experts to come over here and check us out. I'm not attempting to get experts to move out of AMHD there was a question up and I answered it. I'm not detracting from this site. I'm helping to build it. But I do appreciate your criticism. Your loyalty is admirable and I'm glad you decided to stay also.
    Regards, Tom
    Mr. Tom, I see your 78 years young. Thank you for using your knowledge and experience to help others, your presence is greatly appreciated. You rock. ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 02:13 AM
    Mr. Tom, I see your 78 years young. Thank you for using your knowledge and experience to help others, your presence is greatly appreciated. You rock. ;)
    I'll second that ;)
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 22, 2005, 02:38 PM
    I guess this website must be addictive. Im currently running a fever of 101 and feeling very not good and here I am in the help desk. Im just crazy.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 22, 2005, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by admin
    I just love hearing that people love this site so much. Yaaayyyy!!!:D

Oh my lord, help me, I just posted my first smiley...
    Be careful! From my expertise as a smiley addict, it just starts with one and then goes on and on and on... Now you have to find another crutch or you'll be stuck.

Oh, what tangled... how's that saying? Anyway, I love this forum and wish everyone Happy Holidays!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 22, 2005, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    I use my laptop for work and my desktop to view news, look up information or items that I need and for e-mail. Never had an inclination for chat-lines etc. A few days ago I posted a thermostat question that labman was kind enough to address. Soon I found myself reading new posts, and throwing in my two cents when I thought appropriate. Now I spend more time hunched over my computer than I think prudent, reading old and new posts. Will this fascination with other peoples problems/questions wane with the passage of time, or should I begin to worry?
    I'm stuck at home due to illness, but help my therapy patients through the net now or they call me on the phone. So when I had a problem and found this site, I thought, fine, that's that, until I read some posts and 'met' some real cool people. They now feel like a family to me and I spend an average of three hours each day here. I'm a recovering alcoholic, dry for 25 years now, and I'd rather spend time here than ever have another drink. This benefits me by keeping me in contact with the outside world, but can well see the threat of becoming a fulltime addiction if I don't force myself to stop at a certain time. But, if you are a 'people person' and can control yourself, there is no better place to be, in my opinion. I do however, drop everything when my daughter comes by or I go to her place as nothing can take her place. Hope you enjoy it here for as long as you want to stay. Happy Holidays!

I bet you can guess I'm the smiley lady...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2005, 05:55 PM
    I don't thing it's right to refer people to websites similar to Help Me Help Desk.
    As Tom noted, he was criticized on Answerway for referring people here, but since I was the one doing the criticism, I must point out the differences. On Answerway, Tom posted unsolicited advice to try out this site. To me that's like walking into WalMart and telling people to go to Target.

However, this is different. In this case someone asked the question about whether there are other sites like this one. The fact is there are dozens maybe hundreds. Some are general like this one, others are more specific to different issues. I see nothing wrong in answering a question about other sites if asked. If Tom hadn't beat me to it I would have made some of the same suggestions.

Scott<>
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2005, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    Soon I found myself reading new posts, and throwing in my two cents when I thought appropriate. Now I spend more time hunched over my computer than I think prudent, reading old and new posts. Will this fascination with other peoples problems/questions wane with the passage of time, or should I begin to worry?
    I started on these help boards almost 20 years ago. Before the WEB, I used local SIGs (Special Interest Groups), Compuserve, Genie, Prodigy, AOL and then onto the WEB with AskMe.com and others

Much of the reason I continue to do this is because the only remuneration asked by the people I got help from when I started was to "pay it forward". But I also enjoy knowing that I have helped someone make the most of their computing experience.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Website traffic [ 6 Answers ]

What is the best way to get FAST website traffic without spending a fortune on pay per click?

Music website [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a website where I can listen to full length songs for free?

Age of website [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I want to know the age of web-site, I meant to say when the site was made? When was Its domain registered? And how I can check about informations of perticular site Regarding this topic? Is there any method to know about it? Is there any trick That will show me what is the...

Using ask me website [ 8 Answers ]

How can I use this website,step by step please,and how can I ask anonymously.thx a lot

View more questions Search