Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmamma Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Thesis Statement for The Lord Of The Flies
    The theme is loss of innocence and I need to make a thesis statement. I was thinking of Goldings statement: "Though humanity seems civilized, total freedom and a lack of consequences for ones' actions allow(s) human civilization to be quickly stripped away, revealing that people are, in their hearts, as savage as beasts," or something more on the lines of innocence being an act in civilization.
    I'm looking for something different then everyone, suguestions would be nice :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Please review the guidelines on asking for help with homework that can be found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/arts-l...board-b-u.html
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Have you read the book?

Dec 13, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Yeah
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Did you edit your post? Your original question is different than the one you have now.

Dec 13, 2007, 04:01 PM
    Yes, had to follow the guidelines on asking for help with homework.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
    How would you go about describing "innocence being an act of civilization?"

Dec 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
    No it's more like, innocence is an act people put on in our civilization for respect and stuff when we really just want to do what the children did on the island.
    I'm not good at these things, I'm slowly developing it.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Yes, I see what you are saying. The innocence, the respect for protocol, adherence to "rules" - the standard for fine young British lads. The savagery is for "savages" not civilized beings, especially those boys. "Kill the pig, slash his throat" would not be tolerated in their "normal" day of school.

So without rules and the absence of authority, we all can revert to this commonness. What starts as structure ends in a mad frenzy. You could parallel that with many situations in real life. If that were us, stranded on that island, we would hope our morals and values would keep us from trying to eat each other.

Dec 13, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Wow that was really helpful :)
    I think I'm going with that one and find a better way to word it and just add goldings statement in the conclusion, thank you for your help :)
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Most welcome. Loved that book. Saw the old black and white film of that in a Sociology class. Makes one wonder... what if? Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Research topics for lord of the flies [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I have to write a 10 page paper on a research topic of lord of the flies, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a research topic for lord of the flies. I am not looking for anyone to do my paper, but I am having trouble coming up with a research topic for the book that...

Thesis statment-lord of the flies [ 2 Answers ]

I need help about a thesis statement for lord of the flies and its about the conch and a sows head and how it has powers over the children

Thesis statement [ 6 Answers ]

How do I write a thesis statement about outsourcing jobs?

Lord of the flies Thesis [ 1 Answers ]

How can I make my thesis by the stand of "Fear leads a man to pain"... wat does it mean anyway?:(

View more questions Search