Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ottawa cake lady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Toggle switch won't move to on position
    If a machine stops working by its self because it is overloaded the toggle switch has moved its self in the mid position I can get it to move to the on position it basically tripped the breaker how to I put it back on the on position
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Sounds like you have toggle switch that is actually a manual motor starter, which contains an ovlerload heater, that causes the switch handle to trip to the center position.

You can reset the switch by throwing the switch handle to OFF, and then back on to restore power.

If this continues, the motor may be defective, or is being overloaded, causing the overload heater to heat up, which activates the trip mechanism in the switch.

This switch is smilar to a circuit breaker, but with a much closer amp rating to the motors running load. The heater should be rated a 125% of the motor running load amps.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 13, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Personally I need some more info on the mortor from you. Also. Can you upload a picture of the mortor and switch circuit?

I'll speculate on the possible sources of problems, Frist, have you reset the motor's circuit breaker?

Some mortors use a magetic field to hold the switch in the "On" position. When an overload occurs the field is broken and the motor shuts off.
    ottawa cake lady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Toggle switch won't move to on position
    I have tried moving switch to off poison will go to centre but not to on am I doing something wronge te toggle switch is on the panel box machine . Machine has done this before I managed to restart it.there is also no restart button on the machine its self? What should I try next ? Need this machine to work pronto
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Replace the defective switch.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Is anyone reading the question?

The switch itself is tripped to the center position?

This is a manual motor starter, with built in overload.

Dec 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Yes TK I read what he said. More than likely he will end up replacing the switch assembly with new overloads because I am sure this is not the first time this has happened. Now a reset might work but I had such bad luck with these assemblys over the years that I got to a point that I just replaced them so I lost no more $$ on repete free service calls. The overloads are probably tempered also from being run on the limit to often and will kick if you look at them the wrong way.
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Fair enough, however, I would like to suggest you state that so that Lady understands and is reaffirmed that she may not have a regular switch, and to be aware that there is more to this switch than meets the eye.

While it may be defective, it may also just need to be reset, or more likely the starter may be working and doing it's job, and she may need to eliminate the cause of the overload or repair the motor or drive system of the machine.

And honestly, I did not see her second post, as it appeared so similar to the first. Fast reading.

And I did not Don's request for info for motor and switch circuit.

Some read too much into a question, others not so much.

Trying to everyone to focus on the questions.

I don't mean to come off as a prick, just part of the job. Here, and at work. A part of work is to listen to tech's description of job conditions, that while are very sharp, may have not seen everything yet, as some is older technology, or looks different. I advice them of details over the phone, I can tell them exactly how to do something, or what something is, or step through steps, just from some words.

This is much like work, just s-l-o-w-e-r. Takes time to have a discussion.

You offered some good advice, as usual, just not explained it, that's all.

Dec 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Hey TK I understand where you are coming from but this is far to technical and this lady will never fix it herself unless she has a amprobe/other tools and know how to use them.

We can give all the advice in the world but in this case She really needs to call a professional electrician who knows what he is doing on equipment of this type.
    Since this machine has done this before by her own admission it should really be gone over professionally.
    Many years ago I did electrical safety inspections for the State of Ohio. I still have my number and teach a few classes to get my 30 hours of training every three years. When I see some of the questions posted I cringe at the thought of them trying to fix it. The reason I am vague sometimes is that if they cannot understand what I am saying then they should not be doing the repair to start with. Unless it is a light bulb of fuse you need a bit of experience to repair items without causing more trouble.

I do this as a little bit of protection for them so as not to dig them in so deep that they will do more harm than good.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Couldn't load be removed and see if it will reset?
    I never assume a Girl or Woman doesn't understand Electrical or Electronics.
    She may have an Amprobe. I try to describe, and if they don't understand, they(anyone) maybe should not attempt.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I never assume a Girl or Woman doesn't understand Electrical or Electronics.
    Strat... of all the posts you've made in this forum, that is far and away the most intelligent one you have ever made... and all of your posts are very, very intelligent.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Hey Thanks, Have seen a lot of Excellent input from Yourself as well, and Others.
    Love to Learn, love to teach. Wish the best for you and yours for the Holidays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend won't move in with me! [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have bn going out about 10 and a half months now. We love each other very much. Recently I have suggested that we move in together because 5 out of 7 nights of the week we are together so it makes sense to live together. My boyfriend however says that he can't because that would...

3-Way Light Switch Illuminated Toggle Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Here's my dilemma. I have an outdoor flood light that is outside of the garage and has both a 3-way switch in the garage and in the house. Since I put in those windowless garage doors, I can't see whether the flood light is on or off, and many a night someone leaves the light on all night....

Can't move switch out of Pilot position [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to light the pilot light on the gas furnace. The switch won't move out of the "Pilot" position. If the pilot lights and stays lit - is there a danger in leaving it on "Pilot"?

Tenants won't move [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my question is I sold my home the closing is in a week I am ready to move but my tenants won't they think the new owner will let them stay. I believe the new owner is going to gut the house. I told them in march I was sellling I also gave them a letter aug 11th of this year that they have to be...

View more questions Search