Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eng1JC Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Computer won't read
    My Dell will not read any device attached to it unless the device is attached when the computer is turned on. If I put a CD in the drive it won't read it, if I start the computer with the CD in, then it reads it. This also goes for any other device plugged in.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Can you view the contents of your CD in Windows Explorer?

Dec 19, 2005, 06:08 AM
    Won't read
    Sometimes it does, most the time no. If I start with the CD in it does. I get a message when I try to run a scan that there isn't a disc in the drive. This also happens when I attach anything through the ports.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 21, 2005, 02:40 AM
    Can you give us your windows version and some more information about your computer. Is your CD drive internal?

Also which other devices are you trying to use, and what connections (USB, Firewire etc.)?

Dec 21, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Computer Problem
    I have a Dell system. Windows XP. If there is a disc in either of my cd drives when the computer starts up, it reads the disc. If I insert a disc after the computer is turned on, in either drive, it does not read it. Also goes for the same with my usb ports, it will only read something hooked to it, camera, scanner, flash drive if it is hooked up prior to the computer being turned on. It reads my printer because it's hooked up when the system turns on, but if I put a camera memeory card into my printer after it has been turned on, it does not read it. I checked my plug and play and it is on. I removed both cd drives and reinstalled them but nothing changed.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 07:39 AM
    Here's a question for you: do you sometimes remove a CD from the drive and still see the index/contents of that CD in Windows Explorer even though it has been removed from the drive?

Dec 21, 2005, 07:41 AM
    I'm not sure. I will have to check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help - Please Read. [ 7 Answers ]

All right, here's the situation - my ex-girlfriend calls me a few weeks ago, and tells me that she's pregnant. Of course, this is not a situation I'm immediately comfortable with, but it's not because I'm not one to run from a responsibility. See, I'm not going to be here, I'm actually going OUT...

My computer doesn't read my new burner [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new burner and my computer won't read it. My computer only has two plugs. The power & the ide flat cable.. my computer keeps saying "disc boot faliure, insert computer disc". I put in the software that came with it but the it won't read it. Did do something wrong & should I take it...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search