Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyjd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 04:36 AM
    Kitchen sinks drains to shower tub
    Help! I'm a first time home owner with an Eichler built on concrete slab from the 1950s in Northern Cal. My kitchen sink is draining into my shower tub up through the drain. The shower then takes *hours* to slowly drain away. Meaning we can't wash dishes or us! Bathroom sink and toilet drain just fine. And the kitchen sink doesn't appear to back up at all. I washed dishes the first night without realizing the problem until the next day.

Reading through the forum I have the idea that I'm going to have to snake something, but not a clue how or where to start. Should we just break down and call a plumber?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 05:35 AM
    At some point, the tub drain and kitchen sink will meet. The clog is somewhere beyond that.

I do suggest calling a plumber if you don't have - or have never used - an electric snake; Even if you rent one, you may be a half or full day trying to get it where it needs to go.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 19, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Hi Lady,

You have a blockage downstream of the shower. This clog can be reached several ways. Through the kitchen roof vent, the lavatory roof vent or through the shower drain. Rick gave you good advice when he advised you to get a plumber to do it but some home owners prefer to rent a power snake and do the work themselves. I'm just giving you that option. Good luck, Tom
    ladyjd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 05:14 PM
    Many thanks gentlemen. That's what I suspected but it's always nice to have a professional confirm it. Tom, I think I'll do as you recommended to another member - call the plumber, stand over his shoulder and ask lot's of questions. I'm learning something new everyday!

Have a Merry Christmas, a great New Year and thanks again for getting back to me so lightening fast.

Jen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer drains into shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Our washer is down stairs and when it drains it comes up in the down stairs shower. There is no clog we have it all cleaned out. But it still dose it. This is not a new problem it has done this for a long time. But we want to fix up the bath room and would like to be able to use the shower. We...

Shower Stall bolt down Drains [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of redoing my shower and have removed all the material from stud to stud and down to the subfloor. I would like to replace the shower stall drain portion that is under the subfloor without ripping out the entire subfloor to get to it. My question is, is the portion of the drain...

Bathtub drains: water comes up in shower [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We are renovating our upstairs bathroom. Originally it had just a whirlpool tub, and now it has the same tub plus a separate shower beside it. We're testing the plumbing to make sure everything works before closing up the walls (& the ceiling below). The bathtub and shower connect to...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

Shower slowly  drains [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a shower that drains slow about 1 gallon per minute. I had two different plumers come out and snake the drains about 16-20feet but did not work. We had a new tub put in and over flow pipe still having the same problem. The drain for my other shower works fine can I tap in to that drain...

View more questions Search